Thread: So now it's "Students of Color?"

So now it's "Students of Color?"

First, I want to ask, what exactly are white southern male republican honkys supposed to call black people these days? The last time I checked, any mention of the word "colored", in any derivitave, was a political correctness offense, punishable by public character assisination. Are we going the other way now? In ten years will it be "Students of Negro?" "Students of color" should at least have the decency to stop changing the definition of how they describe themselves. Perhaps this continual redefinement of physical appearance is essential in the core perpetuation of perceived social insensitivities. I say, pick one description and live with it. Case Closed.

Now for the article. It never ceases to amaze me how far these liberal learning institutions are willing to go in the name of political correctness. Any self-respecting Republican instructor would have said "Shake the interviewer's hand and make eye contact. Evaluation of these essential interview skills is required for your grade and is not subject to reversal." In college I was assigned an essay on sealife conservation. (English Class) We were supposed to write this essay in the perspective of a "creature of the sea." If I had said, in my culture we hunt down baby seals for their pelts, kill whales for their blubber and oil, catch flipper to make tuna sandwiches, tear off coral to sell it at beachside resorts, and basically we don't give a flip about your view of the environment , thus I should not have to write your essay based upon cultural differences. Do you think that the instructor would have called my dissidence a "blimish"? No way. I would have been slapped with more lables than the U.N. has meaningless resolutions. Anyways, I flunked the essay. The instructor said it was due to run on scentences. You think? I think it was because I wrote the essay in the perspective of a whale that wanted to beach itself and how the whales dementia was due to the humans inability to hunt whales to extention. Thus preventing the whale from having to live through a twisted and painful end of it's existenence. Better a relatively quick death from a harpoon where he dies from loss of blood as opposed to roasting on a beach. In higher education you are given an assignment and you complete that assignment, within the designated guidelines directed by the instructor.

The School of Education at the University of Oregon is in a full-blown “multicultural crisis” because a speaker at a career guidance workshop suggested that people interviewing for jobs make direct eye contact and use firm handshakes when meeting with their prospective employers, reports the Daily Emerald.

During the Career Beginnings conference in February, a student of color suggested that her culture does not encourage such interactions. The speaker then launched into an explanation that failure to follow his advice might lead a “blemish effect” that can harm the interviewee’s chances. The student of color interpreted that to mean that her culture was “a blemish” and was distraught.

The incident has prompted students of color to demand diversity training for the entire staff, a five-year plan to address issues of cultural sensitivity and new procedures for handling complaints from distraught students.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Hi Overdue~

Actually these "liberals" are being narrow minded, bigoted and politically incorrect as in "you are one of us whites, or you are one of them........and they are all the same"? That is colour prejudice, which does not even have the intellectual entry level that racial prejudice requires?

I have spent most of my working life in the multicultural environment of our capital.........yes it matters to people that you recognise them as African, West Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Indian, Pakistani or whatever, they have different cultures?

Hell, a lot of those guys have a command of the English language that makes me seem illiterate (OK not difficult...........) and probably several other languages as well.

I find it amusing (and ignorant) that people can use the words political and correct in the same sentence, when we all know that they are antitheses?

just my distortion

Anyways we all know that the first thing you do at a job interview is shake the interviewer warmly by the throat?

~ hi back at ya Nihil

I have spent most of my working life in the multicultural environment of our capital.........yes it matters to people that you recognise them as African, West Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Indian, Pakistani or whatever, they have different cultures?
    You are correct, but to expand on your thought some; we are talking about interview skills here. For most employers in America, it is essential to display confidence during an interview. If an individual is demur, most interviewers will have the impression that the interviewee (hmm.. is that a word?) lacks the confidence to make decisions or lacks faith in their abilites. Thus regulating their interview document to the circular file. Granted there will be exceptions, but I think those will be far and few between. Not to mention that I would be cautious about working for someone that expects me to be timid and mousey, always doing as I am told with no comment expected. I also wonder if that type of employer would care about your ethnic, political, or cultural views. Lots of room for carrer advancement in that environment eh?
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

just think now that she's been told this little trick (looking in the eyes etc) she'll probably sue everyone that doesn't hire her stating their decision was based on cultural bias because she couldn't look them in the eyes or shake their hand because of her religious beliefs.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hi,

we are talking about interview skills here. For most employers in America, it is essential to display confidence during an interview
    I take your point Overdue~............over here we would think that was "in your face"?

I remember interviewing a young lady for her first job.......at the end I asked her if she had any questions that we had not covered in the interview. She asked me if there was any "racial prejudice" in the company...............

I thought about that for a moment, and answered that I did not know, so I went out and called up the section leader and a couple of her staff, and brought them in. I told them to answer the young lady's questions honestly...........and left the room.

The section head was a white lady from Northern Ireland, the other two were from Sri Lanka and Barbados.............

I had been on the phone, so when she came out a few minutes later, I took her down to E6 machine shop and accosted "chubby" the floor manager..............I told him that the young lady had a question and that as he spoke Gujurati............he was the man..............they rabbited away in braille for a few moments, and she was happy so as we went out, I could not resist having a pop at chubby.........

I pointed at the fire exit sign, and asked him why the words were so long in the three other scripts?

He said:

"Johnno, yours says fire exit, ours says in case of fire stand where you are and wait for the instructions of the nearest white man"

We got on well, as you can imagine

And the young lady was a very successful hire..............

And I DID NOT shake her hand.............that is a primitive thing............it means that neither of you can draw your swords because you have hold of eachothers hand?............haven't they heard of the 9mm in the left hand pocket

Cheers

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    just think now that she's been told this little trick (looking in the eyes etc) she'll probably sue everyone that doesn't hire her stating their decision was based on cultural bias because she couldn't look them in the eyes or shake their hand because of her religious beliefs.
    Tedob1 - I did not even think about that, but your right and that's D*** scarry.