Thread: how to set ftp server

how to set ftp server

I just setup a ws-ftp server in my win2k box, While giving IP address I gave my internal network IP address. I like to host it freely over the internet so that my fren and other can share my resources , How do i setup internet IP and host to public.

Since i get ip from the isp's dhcp how can i make it stable so that i don't have to keep on changing my ip address at every bootup ?

To make it easier for them, just give anonymous access. Then from there, just give them your IP address. With the anonymous access they'll be able to browse and view your FTP server. You could create account's for them, but I'm only giving you the easiest way for you (and them).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    To make it easier for them, just give anonymous access.
    LOL, and be sure to give me the IP too. Me loves annonymous access!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

and be sure to give me the IP too. Me loves annonymous access!
    Oh, no doubt. Same here!!!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    OK, seriuosly, I'll try to answer your question while making some large assumptions (because you haven't provided any detail about your setup).

If you have a Cable/ADSL connection, check the management page for DMZ capabilities. You can forward all of your internet traffic to a particular internal host. Also, if you have a little router behind the Cable/ASDL modem, you can do the same thing. If you want to get fancy, you can also use port forwarding.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    OK, seriuosly, I'll try to answer your question while making some large assumptions (because you haven't provided any detail about your setup).

If you have a Cable/ADSL connection, check the management page for DMZ capabilities. You can forward all of your internet traffic to a particular internal host. Also, if you have a little router behind the Cable/ASDL modem, you can do the same thing. If you want to get fancy, you can also use port forwarding.

--TH13
    DMZ is a good idea but forwarding port 21 back to the FTP server might be a better idea than forwarding ALL traffic to it...Some filtering is always better than no filtering..IMHO

I am using zoom ADSL/router 5560 for a network of 4 computer followed by a hub. This is my net configuration.

I don't have prt forwarding facilty in this . In the DMZ stting it just ask for the host IP