Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding vulnerabilities?

Finding vulnerabilities?

Hi all,

I am trying to get into the hacking community, and reading as much as possible . I was reading a very intersting article yesterday on a guy doing a security check on forums by finding, and showing examples, of how to exploit XSS vulnerabilities.

Although he did show how to exploit these vulnerabilities which is great if you're a script kiddie, it did not show how to find them, it just suddenly skipped to "Then I found this..." rather than showing how he found it.

Could any1 either explain personally, or direct me to articles on the subject of finding website vulnerabilities please?

Thanks in advance.
    Security noob.

I guess I'll answer you in a post, rather than an AP assignment. This is an Information Security website, not a hacking site. We do not promote nor encourage hacking. Thank You
    Space For Rent.. =]

This is an Information Security website
    Maybe it`s just me but the guy was asking for information wasn`t he? the question didn`t sound malisious.His question did pertain to security. I think the negs are way off here.

Mike
    NORML

Signature image is too tall!

I am trying to get into the hacking community
    Yes, he is looking for information. But apparently, what is he going to do with the information he is searching for? Sorry, but with an opener like that if it look's like a cracker/kiddie and smell's like one, it probably is.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Although he did show how to exploit these vulnerabilities which is great if you're a script kiddie, it did not show how to find them, it just suddenly skipped to "Then I found this..." rather than showing how he found it.
    Did I not make it clear here that I did not want to exploit the vulnerabilities, just find them? I would like to know about security, web security, and to know that surely you have to know how to find the problems to be able to fix them? Damn.
    Security noob.

Yes, he is looking for information. But apparently, what is he going to do with the information he is searching for?
    I've actually being thinking about a career in ICT. Problem?

We do not promote nor encourage hacking.
    As far as I am aware, hacking is the knowledge of computer security...it is cracking which is the misuse of that knowledge. Notice how I didn't mention any interest in cracking?
    Security noob.

lomu,

You have to understand where people are coming from here. nobody wants to aid you in hacking websites...ya know?

That is why people are hesitant to answer questions like this. Especially when it is your first or second post. You underdig?

Word your posts better next time.

BTW...A search engine would render much better answers. Use one.

mike
    NORML

Okay, well in that event I'm sorry. I looked at your post in Web Security and I can see your interested more in the security aspect of thing's rather than the "hacking world". But you gotta see it from my perspective. When you say thing's like "I am trying to get into the hacking community" it make's me think of what your intention's are. Anyways, sorry man. Hopefully if you post more and help some people out you'll regain your AP's and everything. Good luck on your quest for knowledge of vulnerabilities.

EDIT:
    Word your posts better next time.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Damn I'm good. Thread re-opened.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Damn I'm good. Thread re-opened.
    Hmm..maybe you could take the poor guy`s negs away.

[edit]
    Actually it looks like they may have evened out
    [/edit]
    NORML