Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: switching user mode

Embro - Nice example it is very clear to me now

- Adiz
    Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"

since Macro$haft
    Careful... show a bit of respect to the company that made personal computing as large as it is today.

In fact, you can do it under Windows. However, due to graphic interface constraints (that occurs on *nix too) you cant do it in the exact way at desktop. But you can run programs as other uids (runas) or can even break or change (wtih appropriate authority) security structure with impersonalization. There is an API group to do that.
    Unix users are so adicted to su and sudo that think that all O.S. should use the same concept with the same implementation (please dont take this as offense)
    For instance, on AS/400 you can see that implementation as "adopt authority".
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

But you can run programs as other uids (runas) or can even break or change (wtih appropriate authority) security structure with impersonalization. There is an API group to do that.
    100% correct.

But keep in mind that windows XP and 2k have the ability to allow multiple logins through X at once. It's a "Switch User" for the entire enviroment while keeping both users running at the same time.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Careful... show a bit of respect to the company that made personal computing as large as it is today.
    Pooh, I thought you were pissed off with MS? Or is that limited to being pissed off with their marketing/law department? (Not an accusation, just wondering)

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Pooh, I thought you were pissed off with MS? Or is that limited to being pissed off with their marketing/law department? (Not an accusation, just wondering)
    It's hard to explain, but I will try. I admire for Microsoft the coders and company (bill included) because let's admit it, they have a GUI interface and coding ability (anyything ever coded in mankind is buggy, don't hold it agaist them) that every other OS is striving for. I'm a huge fan of Microsoft's management and marketing Pre-Bill stepping down from management. This entire team, for this generation of MS, launched personal computing onto a new level while still being in the buisness to make money.

However, I hate Microsoft's current management (remember, Bill stepped down) for their descisions. Since Bill stepped down Microsoft has made a lot of bad choices I feel, from slapping Linux users in the face with the SCO payments, to marketing ME (that was NOT Bill's descision! He was pissed when he found out they released it). Thus I have a strong dislike for their marketing and management department (CEO included) for the post-Bill timeframe.

I don't mind MS i learned on them still use it all the time. Infact I am using windows 2000 boot right now.

- Adiz

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"

I find most people that gripe against microsoft are either

1. Jealous of the ammount of money Billy made/makes
    2. Skiddies/newbies who want to try and sound good by slagging Microsoft
    3. Avid *nix users who really do dislike windows.

#2 is the most common IMHO

Although i do agree with Pooh's comments whole heartedly!

My main grip with MS is that you cant seem to go to a store now-a-days and buy a computer without some version of Windows on it.
    Even if you dont agree with the license after you bought it and dont want to install/use windows, although they say you can take it back [windows], you have a pethetically small chance of actually getting a refund!!

But hey, thats life!

I like the new mandrake 10 it is far superior. However thanks to pooh I have figured out logging back and forth with the 'su' command. I am liking linux.

- Adiz

Running RH 9 with X running, I cannot login to root, but I can su to root. If I change to crtl -alt-F2 I can login to root. I find it easier just to su - than it is to change to another tty, although that has come in handy when my desktop froze on me. I can crt-alt-F1, kill the hung process and crt-alt-F7 back to my gui.

$ root
    bash: root: command not found

$ login root
    Password:
    Login incorrect

If you do ctrl-alt-F1 - F6 and try it "login root" does not work but "root" does

localhost login: root
    Password:
    Last login: Tues Jun 8 22:10:56 on tty2

login: login root
    Password:
    Login incorrect

If you want to get back to the gui then use ctrl -alt -F7. So we are back to what pooh said and how a user can login multiple times.