Thread: WebFldrs

WebFldrs

Our windows 2000 server
    was unexpetedly shutdown at 12:19 PM today

In Event Viewer
    at 10:51 AM
    in Application Log
    there is a record:

Product: WebFldrs -- Configuration completed successfully.
    EventID: 11728

What the hell WebFldrs is?

Web Folders, or WebDAV, is a file transfer protocol that supports secure file transfer over intranets and the Internet. With Web Folders, you can upload, download, and manage files on a remote computer across an intranet and the Internet. Web Folders is similar to File Transfer Protocol (FTP); however, Web Folders provides a more secure environment for transferring files over the Web.
    ~Courtesy of Neowin.net
    I\'m back.

According to Microsoft it's a Web Folders Repair utility.

Information here.

Cheers:
    DjM

Thanks embro1001,

So how exactly you transfer the files using Web Folders?
    Do you use built-in Windows feature?

Can you give me an idea?

Well, from what I read on Neowin, its a protocol, rather than a program. Apparently, it's similar to FTP, but "greater in security", because it's encrypted. The article points out that this is not necessarily true, since SFTP offers SSL encryption.

Other than that, I really don't have any more info - I'm just spittin it out second hand.
    I\'m back.

I use web folders for several websites I've built. You configure the folders in Network Places so that they connect to the server your website resides on (mine connects to Angelfire since I'm cheap). So, when you want to access files on your website, rather than going into a FTP utility, you just go in through your web folders as you would normal folders on your computer. Want to save a file to your website? Then save it to the web folder like you would a normal folder, and it's done. It makes things a lot easier (especially if you use FrontPage), but I'd imagine there are far more secure options to take.

Anyway, that's how I use web folders.

Web folders is a feature which contains a client for FTP, Frontpage server extensions(?), and DAV - possibly also Sharepoint in some versions.

Anyway, from what I've seen, the FTP client is very slow and not very good - the others, I don't know.

Slarty