Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass Mailer Worms Are Dead!

Interesting read Foxy~

Please check this out folks............I have been using it for a few years

http://www.internals.com

There are some interesting (slightly dated, but who am I to talk ) utilities.......

"Mail Control"...........

Doesn't do anything until you launch your mail client, so no resource overhead
    Doesn't scan anything so no conflicts with AV, Firewalls etc
    Just asks you to CONFIRM that you really wanted to send those 500 mails to every e-mail addy on your box

Bonus value................when it kicks off with something you didn't do, you KNOW you are infected, and can do something about it.

errrrrrrrrrr and it is free for private use

I have yet to see a mass mailer that can evade the "backstop" of a confirmation checking script?

OK in a corporate mass mailing environment you can set up exception rules to allow stuff through automatically...........so that one you have to manage by hand? but in the private and SOHO environments, I think that it is a good idea. Anyways, for corporate mass mailings you would batch them and get a human to launch the job?

Yes, the article was perhaps a little trite, shallow, complacent, or whatever, but I will go along with the proactive rather than reactive undertone.

just my thoughts

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Doesn't do anything until you launch your mail client, so no resource overhead
    Doesn't scan anything so no conflicts with AV, Firewalls etc Just asks you to CONFIRM that you really wanted to send those 500 mails to every e-mail addy on your box
    But most viruses/worms today carry their own SMTP engine - run the Strings tool on them and you can read the Helo, Mail From, RCPT To etc. - So this tool isn't going to work against them.... or is there something I'm missing?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I seem to remember the "I LOVE YOU" virus being a fairly simple virus. Even with up-to-date firewalls and anti-virus software, the I LOVE YOU virus wreaked havock by simple social engineering.

E-mail viruses will be a thing of the past when we develop a patch for human stupidity.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Overdue~

I wrote two 4 line .reg files that totally stopped I love you on my site! And I did it 6 months before the virus

Tiger~

It monitors ALL SMTP engines, not just Micro$haft's or whoever

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nihil: Ah, so it's a "firewall" for dest port 25..... Nice for a home user with a Linksys/D-Link type hardware Router/Firewall......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

You need to have very old e-mail software that allows executable attachments; this means no Microsoft clients or patches of clients from the last 3 years.
    Neither you nor your ISP can have remotely up-to-date anti-virus software.
    You can't have a firewall (any decent firewall would stop the worm from sending mail).
    Worst of all, you're a user of one of the public P2P networks like KaZaA.
    Its not April 1st is it ?

Please tell me someone is not paying this @ss h@t. He is just as bad as the people on the other end of the stick who get hold of a new virus name and make it sound like it was responsible for everything from refrigerator failure to typhoons.

Tiger~

I have absolutely no idea how it works.........

Just have a look? it says that there is a commercial licence? but it should not be that difficult to write your own script to do a similar interception?

NOT my area of expertise, I just know that it will produce the query when I send e-mail

like it was responsible for everything from refrigerator failure to typhoons.
    ]

No, Mark.............

The Hawker Aircraft Company was responsible for Typhoons (and Hurricanes and Tempests?)

Bad weather?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    For OverdueSpy:
    [ E-mail viruses will be a thing of the past when we develop a patch for human stupidity. ]

There is a patch out there..................... Its an EYEPATCH !!!!!
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone