Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys do?

what do you guys do?

I know i asked a similar question already but I am not clear on what you guys do win a bigger environment to avoid Pop-ups/malware and spyware/addware?
    I have 450-500 nodes and constantly get people complaining of pop-ups.
    What do you guys do? I NEED a solution...
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

EDIT: we run Trend Micro on the desktop/email and serverside for anti virus.
    all Microsoft environment.
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You need to start employing solutions on a larger scale then. WebSense might be a way of stopping or preventing it from even coming close to users. Using browsers other than IE (remove it or lock it down) would be good options.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I am a consultant here on a company that has 16,000 pc networked. No anti-spyware is currently implemented or choose. They are just running norton enterprise edition on each pc. At corporate entrance, they have huge scan softwares attached to ISA server(proxy), firewall (nokia appliance) and e-mail (exchange). those software are very effective, but time to time some smart malware pass thru them and hit some computers. War casualities...:P
    mine was never compromised
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Jason, You almost all ways have to treat popups on an individual basis. I have never heard of an enterprise solution that applies.

Make sure that 'Messenger Service' (not the IM Messenger by the way) is turned off on all workstations and install something like the 'Google Toolbar' on all workstations.

That would be the only solution I could recommend. (note: you might be able to write a script that would turn off 'Messenger Service' network wide, but I am not sure if you could script installation of the 'Google Toolbar')

Perhaps Tiger or Pooh, both of whom have vastly more large network experience than I ever will, could give you better suggestions on a solution.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Definately kill Windows Messenger, like he said. Do this either through services manager or go to www.grc.com and use "Shoot the Messenger".

I don't know of any enterprise-wide solution either. This, unfortunately, is a machine-by-machine kinda problem, because pop-ups and malware come through each individual browser. As long as pop-ups are not excessive, you may just have to tell your users to live with them and go through HUGE inconvenience of "x-ing" them out.

However, the good ol' Spybot/Adaware combo with a good browser in place (with me it's Firefox) will weed out the vast majority of problems, other than uneducated users who will hit "download" on just about anything ever-so-blindly.

Key thing to remember: you're biggest problem can never be solved with an enterprise-wide tool. Your key problem must be dealt with case-by-case. That key problem is named "user".

Originally posted here by moxnix
    Jason, You almost all ways have to treat popups on an individual basis. I have never heard of an enterprise solution that applies.

Make sure that 'Messenger Service' (not the IM Messenger by the way) is turned off on all workstations and install something like the 'Google Toolbar' on all workstations.

That would be the only solution I could recommend. (note: you might be able to write a script that would turn off 'Messenger Service' network wide, but I am not sure if you could script installation of the 'Google Toolbar')

Perhaps Tiger or Pooh, both of whom have vastly more large network experience than I ever will, could give you better suggestions on a solution.
    Messanger service should be off your right...
    I cant use google tool bar because if it blocks pop-ups it will also block a very vital banking software we use...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh.

The link I posted is called Websense. It is an Enterprise solution for spyware. Add to that filtering on your firewall to deal with scripts in advance and you have something that can take care of users/mitigate anything they may do.

The user may be the risk but if they never see it, it's harder to happen. Good firewalls (not simplistic packet filtering) have content stripping options that should help with ad blocking/spyware blocking.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Sigh.

The link I posted is called Websense. It is an Enterprise solution for spyware. Add to that filtering on your firewall to deal with scripts in advance and you have something that can take care of users/mitigate anything they may do.

The user may be the risk but if they never see it, it's harder to happen. Good firewalls (not simplistic packet filtering) have content stripping options that should help with ad blocking/spyware blocking.
    We have websense...I didnt know it could be used to deal with spyware? is it an add on you have to purchase seperatly? I dont manage the websense just yet....

Ok, so, just disgregard my last post altogether. Thanks a lot MsM, you just destroyed my attempt to look good, yeah, thanks a lot.