im running a small message board with mysql 3 and php 4. apparently anybody can connect to the database as root using the -h <hostname> flag unless i change my root password. i checked google and mysql.com for the syntax for password changing on mysql 4 but i havent found anything that works. first of all, it never requires me to enter a username or password when i get on the command line. second, when i try to change the password with this command(which i think is the right one):
Code:
set password for 'root' = 'mypass';"
it says "OK, blah, blah", but the password is still "nothing". i need to change the password and make it enforce it. anybody know how to do this on mysql 3? also, i was wondering, if im behind a firewall that blocks inbound connections on port 3306(mysql) im pretty safe anyway. also, could someone with no sql experience use phpmyadmin to access my database remotely without me having phpmyadmin installed on my server, cuz i have a friend who claims to be messing with the database, but i dont know how he could be since he doesnt even know what a select statement is...