can't get wireless card (intel2100) to work with RH9

Thread: can't get wireless card (intel2100) to work with RH9

can't get wireless card (intel2100) to work with RH9

i've followed the advise given in this howto, so i'll explain what i've done so far:

* first i've installed the correct driver with the ndiswrapper
    * i've loaded ndiswrapper with "modprobe ndiswrapper"
    * now i've set the right ESSID, network key, and mode with iwconfig:
    - iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
    - iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <wep key>
    - iwconfig wlan0 ESSID <my essid>
    * now i fired up the device: ifconfig wlan0 up

all this worked fine, cause when i type ifconfig i can see my routers MAC, and i see the speed at 11mbit/s.

now for the howto that was advised:

* i've started network-config and added a new device
    * selected wireless device and selected eth7 with a 3com driver
    * gave my ESSID, wep key, channelnumber, mode, dhcp enabled etc.etc
    * and completed the wizard.

now i've looked for the file "ifcfg-eth7" in various directories (/etc/sysconfig/networking/ ; /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/devices/ ; etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/profiles/default ) and renamed this file to "ifcfg-wlan0" and changed the content of every file until they match my settings.

now when i start up network-config again, i see that the device eth7, is now called wlan0, but when i fire it up, i get an error.
    after some checking i saw that the hardwaretab still thinks it is device eth7 and for the driver still 3com is selected.

so i think here is the problem, but i can't change the driver or hardware device, how should i solve this?

if i forgot something else, please let me know, cause it's been almost 2 weeks now and still haven't got the thing to work!!

b.t.w. also did a complete reinstall before the above actions last night again, so it is a completely fresh system..

any help is highly appreciated

I have been searching around for you a bit and I have found a few things that might be of intrest or help you:

try using this driver instead of the 3com one. I am very new to Linux but I hope I have been of some help to you.

i don't think this will work since i need the ndiswrapper as far as i know, but suppose it would work with this card, then i still wouldn't been able to select the driver in the redhat-network-config wizard. so i'm gonna try it when i'm home, perhaps i'm mistaken, and i'll let you know if it works!

thanks for the help anyway