Thread: ethreal WinPcap. help

ethreal WinPcap. help

I just installed ethreal WinPcap. I want to use this utility but it just flicker and gone. can anyone tell me how to use this.

Banned
    FAQ : http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm

maybe you have a virus and it prevents the program from starting up ?

Banned
    Just to get things right:
    - You are using windows?
    - You know that you're supposed to install winpcap first, then install ethereal?
    - You know that if you have a previous version of winpcap installed, you're supposed to uninstall it prior to installing the new version?
    - You know that winpcap is used to capture network packets, and that ethereal is merely the tool to analyze them?

A little more info would be nice

One last thing.... The newest version of the promiscuous capture library doesn't work too well with Ethereal... Make sure you didn't install a beta of any sort...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I am using win2000 pro.I know winpcap is for capture netrwok packets. Is there any alternatives? I want to analyse the packets and ports on my LAN, Also want to know about internet what port are open, and what aren't. what should be open and not and from what port and how spyware,malware and viruses are getting in. Thanks in advance

Banned
    Also want to know about internet what port are open, and what aren't.
    i use Antiy Ports for that one.

Antiy Ports is a TCP/UDP Port-to-Process Mapper.

It can see a port open by which process, can query port info online, and can kill process. It is a free tool released by Antiy Labs.
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/7/10-7-45.shtml

Originally posted here by D0pp139an93r
    One last thing.... The newest version of the promiscuous capture library doesn't work too well with Ethereal... Make sure you didn't install a beta of any sort...
    Yea use 3.0 not 3.1, will work much better with the likes of Snort and Ethereal

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Rajun:

how spyware,malware and viruses are getting in
    I think you may be a little confused. Packet sniffing data off the network isn't going to go a long way to telling you what ports are open/closed/listening on your box. It also isn't going to do much for your quest in determining where the things you mentioned came from.

Typically, spyware, malware and viruses are the result of user interaction. In other words it's _your_ surfing/email habits that are getting this garbage on your machine. There are plenty of systems out there to help you find/prevent this kind of infection.

Is that the help you are really looking for?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

"You don't need common sense, not when we have Tiger to help us along. " --

lol...that was nice and yes i am looking forward to know as you mentioned it will help me so much.