Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: neighbor's network

Regal Making Handler
    Sell your gear and just use his network

I an joking you nead to have a chat with him.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

once again, i am very sorry for the confusion... i agree, however, my post was moved before i even had a chance to fix it -- lol -- grrr on all you hyper-efficient mods

Well, we seem to be discussing both problems simultaneously without a problem. Maybe we just need to make it a dual-problem thread. More interesting that way.

Banned
    little late there swordfish arent ya ?

i have just scanned (about an hour ago) and all i had were 5 cookies -- i use spybot, adaware, and spyware blaster. i am thinking that it is just ads figuring a way around the toolbar because it only started recently, and they are pretty random (that and the # blocked still shows up)

wow, i really messed this post up (it is like 2 threads in one).... ugh...

so neway, i have called my neighbor and he refuses to talk to me about his wireless network security... i am tempted to crash his router/computers, but i know that is illegal, and i don't want to make him hate me more than he already does...

Banned
    Ok... I tried splitting this thread into two separate threads, but people are editing and deleting their posts faster than I can glue them back together
    Two discussions in one thread, I guess...

alright, i am done editing/deleting since i am making your life difficult

Banned
    It's cool negative, hey you better take him to court if he doesnt wanna talk to you, he'll talk to the judge, if there isn't a way to resolve this privately, the judge can resolve it,

Better u take him to court then he takin you for crashing his computer and you getting taken into court for cracking.

AntiOnline n00b
    "little late there swordfish arent ya ?"

oppsy Sorry didn't knew what happned.. now i do .. Hey actually i deleted because i thought i posted it in the wrong thread ...... But later i figured out that i have posted it in the right thread ... It's not my fault "My Lord" when i hit Post Reply Button it was about "Google Toolbars" and when i posted it and i checked the Topic was different and it was in wireless Security so i thought i might have Posted it in the wrong thread because i have Multiple Instances of Antionline Open and might have typed it n the wrong one......(and before Talking any Further I need to Talk to my Lawyer).......

. heres the original post Which i answered to

Originally posted here by djscribble

Recently i have noticed that the google toolbar that is supposed to BLOCK popups is starting to let them through. I am kind of a noob when it comes to this type of annoyance (most of my experience is in security and viruses) so i was wondering if anyone out there has some suggestions??

Hi

Advertisers are well aware of the proliferation of pop-up blockers and are always coming up with new techniques to get around them. It's a never ending battle it seems... and Goolgle like other companies makes money through Advertisements so it is posible that it might be letting it's AD's through.........

These Popups might be coming form other Third Party Tool that you might have installed Like Gator Ads Network or Kazaa on your system. The Google Toolbar's pop-up blocker does not block pop-ups generated by these third-party programs.

check that your Google popup blocker is actually enabled on. To be “on” the icon in your Google toolbar will say something like 234 blocked otherwise it will say site popups allowed and you need to click it to enable it.

Another reason might be messenger service.. you need to disable the messenger service

If this is not the case and you still get popups it may be the cause of “spyware” Try Scanning you compute With AD-Aware / Spybot ......

--Good Luck---

Banned
    Fortunately, there is no way for your neighbor to charge you with "breaking in" into his network (because a judge will assume technical dumbness: you not knowing what network -
    yours or your neighbor's- you are effectively connected to).

The ECPA (Electronics Communications Privacy Act) makes it illegal to intentionally intercept information.
    The even more interesting part of the ECPA is that it is not illegal to "intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public."

Your neighbor's network falls under that part of the law: it's transmitting without security, and the electronic communication on his network is readily accessible to the general public.
    You are allowed to (I should say: "not forbidden to") connect to his network, even use his network to go on the internet. Even sniffing his email-passwords wouldn't be illegal (as long as you don't use them... maybe he'd be willing to talk once you show him his passwords).