Thread: Wireless Network Security Articles

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Wireless Network Security Articles

I just received an email from SecurityFocus that links to an interesting set of three articles covering the security issues of wireless networks and the penetration testing of them that should be a good read.

The first article is here
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Very awesome article find Tig, that was most helpful.

Bravo, and GOOD FIND

one attack not mentioned (unless i missed it cause i read it too fast) is actually hacking the router (because of default passwords and the like)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Aye, Thanks for the read. My boss has been asking if we should use wireless in new offices that we open up (medical offices). I have been VERY hesistant and I have told him that we should not. I knew about the denial of service attacks and how easy WEP could be broken with enough time. I also knew about the MAC spoofing technique. I can't wait for the other two segments. I will then forward the entire article to him so he can understand why I have been telling him no, even though the installs would go faster.

Thanks muchly again

~Halv

errr.. edited because I can't type that gud.

Article is probably out of date a little. The new standard of Wireless security is WPA. I ustilize this on my home network. Just had to activate at a cost of downloading the new firmware.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    GSX:

Then you should probably be aware of this amongst other things.

The simple fact is that wireless is becoming "trendy" and the people using it aren't that computer literate..... Downloading and flashing firmware isn't somrthing a lot of them will be doing in the near future......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides