Thread: connect computers

connect computers

I want to connect the computer at my uncle home from mine through the internet and share the files, What will make this possible?

What operating system are you using? Also, what type of internet connection do you have? If you are wanting to share files it may be easier just to have him burn stuff to a CD and send it to you if possible. But anyways... for a real learning experience you could install a FTP server program and administer it so that you two will be able to share files. Have fun

Thanks hobb. We are using windows 2000 and XP. I mean we are quite far to post or something. We do often share files.FTP may be great idea. I shall try that...Even for this...Does one need to be sever FTPand other client FTP ...or ..if we both install client FTP. I was just confued about VPN and telnet if they could be more reliable and faster...or they are just for corporate.

Oh...other thing we both use broadbad...150kbps...and 512kbps. Thanks in advance

Yea as far as i know you have to have the Server and client on both comps so that it makes it possible for you to access files on his system and allow him to access files on your system. You two will also have to find out each others IP addresses for obvious reasons .

You need to have the server running on the computer that has the files that you want to get.

So as hobbdebub said if you both want to let each other get files from your respective computers you will both need to have a FTP server running.

If you do decide to take this route make sure you assign a user name and a password to restrict access to your server! [everyone loves an annonomous FTP server ;-) ]

You have an FTP client installed by default anyway with XP and 2000 so you just need to worry about the server.

An easier way maybe to get a bit of web space and upload them to there, its certainly more secure!

A lot of web hosting companys will give you a small bit of space for free in return for you putting some adverts on the site!
    Or, your ISP may offer you some free web space!

rajunpl,

Hopefully you have already thought of it, but it is most adviseable to have firewalls etc., setup prior to! Many deviants are lurking in the shadows while they scan for file sharing boxes. If they find your's or your uncle's computer online with file shares turned on.....

If you don't have one, here's some recommended by AO members of the last couple of years.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257776

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.