Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie 2 programming...

Newbie 2 programming...

Hello All:

There are some questions that has been buggin me for quite some time...

I'm very much interested in C++(I mean, thats the language I know best).. but still studying ..
    But the thing that depresses me is that most(almost all) programs written in C++ is not at all appealing, when we run it in Windows, though it looks wonderful in a dos environment. So, I was looking for some "which kind of programs => which language"...(hope u understand)

Now comes my mean questions...
    In which language is the following applications written ?
    * MSN / Yahoo Messenger
    * Adobe Photoshop
    * Other Interactive Window programs (any others u can think of)
    * Windows !!

Yeah, I've heard of Visual C++ and VB. Which do u think is better ?? (.. tough question I perume :P) What are its pros and cons...

Thanx,
    XN

I know a little of various languages but am not an expert in any of them, so take that to consideration. But, I think C++ is more powerful than VB, while VB is more user-friendly (the common give and take situation there).

And how powerful is Visual C++ ?
    XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com

Banned
    Adobe Photoshop is written in straight C++. Although C++ is an extremely powerfull language, it has a very steep learning curve.
    Photoshop has an MDI a Multiple Document Interface. This is when multiple windows are open inside one main window.

Because this is computer programming, there are always many ways to write programs. I love Visual Basic.NET, and C#. C# is a new language written from the ground up geared for the .NET framework and ease of use. Its a fusion of Java and c++ with VB ease. Best of all C# and VB.NET are very GUI geared, and have extensive GDI+ support (image manipulation).
    Well, strictly speaking, C++ has no GUI features whatsoever. It knows nothing about such things, they're simply not part of the C++ language or standard library. If your compiler has GUI features (as many do) they're a platform specific extension. For instance MS VC++ comes with everything you need to be able to write GUI apps that run under Windows.
    http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforum...read.php?t=446

For WIndows:

http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-80741
    http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonso...w&ixPost=28914

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

C++ is a very good language.and ......IMHO It's a good first language to learn too( after C of Couse).and for Visual C++ and Visual Basic ..they are Programmiing Environments they provied you with Point and Click environt ....VC++ comtains MFC libraries through whivh you can create those Graphical windows easily.....You can directly extend Prebuild Libraries to create for Forms, Menus etc .....................if you have a Good Command in C++......... VC++ wouldn't be much difficult..............and all same is the case with Visual Basic

Visual basic i think is the more easy to learn of then all it provied you with a environment which facilitate Rapid Application development........It's good for Developing Application Softwares (eg Payroll, leave accounting syatem and all etc etc) .....not good for Syatem Softwares............Dosen't Provide that much freedom and command to the programmer

VC++ on the other hand is good for System Softwares.....And much much more powerful than VB.......And About Adobe Photoshop Writen in i think it's C++ ........

Which do u think is better ??
    They are two different language ......and they are both Good in their own domains.........Vb for Application Softwares and VC++ for Syatem Softwares......

--Good Luck--

[Edit]

Damm MemorY you are fast ..and Me late again......

Antionline Herpetologist
    Visual C++ is a great platform if you want to program for Windows. I've found that programming in VC++ can be a very rewarding and challenging experience (as opposed to VB, which I hate with a passion). However, learning VC++ is a daunting task for someone who is only just learning C++. Once you're comfortable with C++, you can go on to learning VC++. Another thing you might want to take a look at if you're interested in Windows programming using C++ is Qt.

Adobe Photoshop is written in straight C++. Although C++ is an extremely powerfull language, it has a very steep learning curve.
    Photoshop has an MDI a Multiple Document Interface. This is when multiple windows are open inside one main window.
    Remember though, even a Windows program written using "straight" C or C++ (i.e. no MFC) has to call functions from the Windows API. All that MFC does is provide classes to encapsulate the functions.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

If your looking for a powerfull language that is not to hard to write a GUI in you may want to try java. Its object oriented which will help you in the future, and you can get into it fairly quickly with a little background in c++.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

i've coded in both VB, java and C++, i will agree that VB is much more user friendly, and easier to create a GUI for.....C++ does seem to have more programming 'power', java is also a great language to work with...has kind of a balance between GUI and 'power' , tho on the same not any language if you know how to use it right can be very powerful. in the end it all depends on what you are actually trying to do with the program, i use both languages depending on what im doing.

cheers.
    [gloworange]Antyx[/gloworange] .. formerly lupdawg

All you VB haters make me laugh. Most of you have only a shade tree understanding, at best of the capabilities of the Visual Basic programming language. I'm not going to go into detail here, because this argument is played out in the worst way.

Antionline Herpetologist
    SexyBadGirl,
    It's not what VB can do, it's how it goes about doing it. VB can be a reasonably good tool in the hands of a skilled programmer. However, VB encourages poor programming practices in new programmers. VB is definitely NOT the first language anyone should learn. Another reason I don't like VB is the lack of a bunch of features that make Java or C++ programming enjoyable and powerful. Let's see shall we?

No true OOP concepts (no inheritance)
    No pointers (OK, Java might not have pointers that you can manipulate, but at least Container classes are present)
    The presence of variable arrays. While this may seem like a blessing at first, variable arrays are a curse when it comes to speed of execution.
    Declaration of variables isn't compulsory which can make reading and debugging code really frustrating.
    Console output in VB is hard. It can be done, but it's hard.
    API functions need to be called often. However, I can't think of a language in which this is more clunky. Even Java, which *should* never need to call API functions can do it with relative ease.
    VB is pretty much a Windows only language.

So, in closing, IMO, the only production level applications that VB is suitable for are database frontends with pretty interfaces. For anything else, there's simply better languages. Also, Delphi, a language with a similar target audience to VB blows it out of the water. It's everything that VB should be.

Note: I'm talking about Visual Basic 6 here, not VB.Net

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com