Dataminer question

Thread: Dataminer question

Exclamation Dataminer question

My daughter has been getting recurring dataminers. Adaware lists them as, "Vendor: People on PC". It keeps reloading a program at C:\Program Files\autoupdate\autoupdate.exe. She deletes it and all of it's components with Adaware but it comes back again. Could something be set in the registry and/or is she possibly getting this from the same website ie: Yahoo Games, which she uses every day? Any hints will be appreciated!
    By the wqay, I read several post regarding various spyware programs people are running. I have found that the more the merrier. I use Adaware, Spybot, Pest Patrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. The last two are blockers. The other scanners all seem to find something that the others didn't. I update and run these everyday. Your system won't take a performance hit if you don't want or need to keep them running in the sys tray. Along with Norton A.V., ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneLog Analyser my system stays ALMOST clean.[FONT=arial]

AntiOnline n00b

I use Adaware, Spybot, Pest Patrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard

Wow Long list you have .................And it still managed to sneak through

Yes i think "C:\Program Files\autoupdate\autoupdate.exe" is a Spyware............ AD-Aware should have taken care of that .........are you sure you have scanned your hard drive with AD-Aware...........The Third Option in AD-Aware which says "Select Drives To Scan" .Select t and run a Scan.......If you haven't already..........

And now that you have scanned your computer with all that long list of Spyware Busters have no choice but to suggest you Download hijakthis and post a log here........

--Good Luck--

Sorry i missed the reloading part in your post are you saying AD-Aware detects it not able to remove.........or does it remove it and after sometime it comes back..........?

Try Running your Computer in Safe Mode and then Scan with AD-Aware...........

Just to add-

Make sure AdAware and Spybot are updated online... this is crucial.

Hijack this is a dangerous tool, but I still recommend it to diagnose with. Scan with it, but don't delete anything. Post the log here, and one of us can possibly find a removal tool.

Safe mode is crucial too, because it's hard to delete a file while its being used. Safe mode prevents it from loading.

hey there,

go into IE, click tools -> internet options, you'll get your internet options, click delete cookies, and delete files under your temporary internet options, click ok, and close IE. now run ad-aware, which i prefer, or one of the scanners you listed, be sure to update the scanner before scanning, if anything comes up select it and delete it. from that point you should have a clean computer.

now i would recommend you go download mozilla or mozilla firefox (stripped browser) from, and use that instead of IE since both of those browsers dont have activex you dont have to worry about having spyware downloaded, and your daughter will still be able to play her yahoo games

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    New Jersey
    SwordFish_13 is correct. The link Sword provided should hopefully remove that autoupdate.exe

Should you decide to use HijackThis, post it here first (like Soda said) and we can help you interpret the results. In particular, you're going to be looking for these entries:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {01C5BF6C-E699-4CD7-BEA1-786FA05C83AB} - C:\Program\SysAI\AproposPlugin.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoUpdater] "C:\Program Files\AutoUpdate\AutoUpdate.exe

and at some point, you'll probably want to boot into safe mode and delete
    C:\Program Files\AutoUpdate\AutoUpdate.exe
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton