I NEED some Advice...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I NEED some Advice...

Unhappy I NEED some Advice...

Please bare with me...I know I havent been a member long and I only have 60 some posts, but I am going to go into a little bit of background here and hope you guys forgive me and give me some advice.
    Maybe you guys wont even be able to relate.
    I started working in IT in 1995 when I was i HS. I worked after school and on christmas vacation installing Windows 95a and upgrading memory, sound cards, CD ROMS, and other hardware/software upgrades.
    I went to college and took 1 entry level course it was pretty stupid....
    anyway i only went 2 years and Got married. I took numerous non-IT jobs (Ie...Construction, Landscaping...). I got a job selling internet acess...that didnt pan out with the startup company so they took me on as the ISP support. The ISP failed and I was laid off...I finaly landed a job as a desktop tech at a small bio-tech company. I took the CNA test and failed.
    I was there a year and was offerd another job with GMAC as a help desk position. I was prommised a Desk top tech job and when i got there they put me on the phones. I figured it was just to get used to the types of calls on level 1. I ended up 3 weeks later still on the phones...I asked my boss and he said he didnt have a desktop job for me and that i would have to stay on the phones. It turned out that 3 other guys hired were given the same story so we all of course conspired to get new jobs...the boss got wind of it and i wa sout of work again. Then I got hired to do software instaltions of Magic TSD help desk software. It went well for a year. I tried my second cert...it was for Magic TSD. I failed 4 times..this was the same software i installed and customized every day. I failed the test 4 times. Each time i took it the the score got worse. My boss didnt seem to care but a few months later i was laid off from lack of sales. that was Sept 10th 2001. I got a job Feb 2002 as Support for a local ISP. I was fired 1 year later and re-hired and promoted by the ISP Director as an ISP admin.
    I was offered a job 4 months ago as the security Admin for a bank. I took the job. I told them i had no experiance and they were fine with that. they said they would let me learn.
    I am very happy ingeneral with the job but thats mainly because i have done moslty desktop support for the last 4 months. Now I am really getting into the security side of things...
    The VP was the security admin before me and now I am taking it over.
    I would liek to get some Certifications but I dont know what to do since I never did well in testing. i feel like there are so many holes in my experiances and I know just a little about everything. but I dont seem to know anything extensivly. So here I am thinking I need to get certified in something ....I of course fear failing...So I say all that to ask What you would suggest I do...
    A+, Network+, Security+, MSCE..I just dont know where to begin...
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

I would start off with A+. Not only is it a very basic cert, but it will give you confidence as you advance in the field.

And MCSA would also be another suitable starting point.

Judging from the fact that you failed the certification for the product you worked with, it may not be a knowledge or skill issue. You may actually have problems taking tests. If this is the case... Try going for college certificates instead of the certifications. Many community colleges offer their versions of the MCSA,MCSE, CCNA, and many other basic and even advanced certifications. When you have done the college certificates... You may be better able to take the certifications.

The worst thing you can do right now is give up. I believe that you did exceptionally well by just trying so hard.

Keep it up and good things will come to you.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

The Recidivist
    Okay, if no one else will call it........

I was offered a job 4 months ago as the security Admin for a bank. I took the job. I told them i had no experiance and they were fine with that

No formal training and little if no background in security and your admin

Bullshit.

Nuff said.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted here by hjack
    Okay, if no one else will call it........

No formal training and little if no background in security and your admin

Bullshit.

Nuff said.

hjack
    I donít understand? you think I am lying?
    What would I possibly gain by lying?
    Every job I have had I was under experienced and was told they would train me. I donít know exactly why but thatís the truth. I donít get what the point in lying would be?
    Anyway, they donít pay me much if thatís any consolation to you....
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

I think that your probem is stress related. I have known admins who were able to work under any amount of pressure but had major problems with talking tests. It was the idea of the formal setting and being judge against other people.
    I am in the middle of a migration at the moment so I will try to get back to you later.
    The main thing is to be able to look objectively at why you had problems with the exams and developpe some way to control your stress.
    Hijack if it was the VP who was admin before then some one with any technical background is an improvement. Dont forget most companys dont have a clue what security is about.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

The Recidivist
    I was offered a job 4 months ago as the security Admin for a bank .

MURACU ,

His profile states he lives in the good ole US.

Do you really think that they would allow a non-trained or certified individual a posistion of security for a bank?

Banks have to be federally backed. That requires certain criteria to be meet.

Someone who has a sketchy work history, no formal education towards the posistion, and doesn't even no what certs to get? If this is true, which I doubt, then u need to quit because u r in over your head.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted here by MURACU
    I think that your probem is stress related. I have known admins who were able to work under any amount of pressure but had major problems with talking tests. It was the idea of the formal setting and being judge against other people.
    I am in the middle of a migration at the moment so I will try to get back to you later.
    The main thing is to be able to look objectively at why you had problems with the exams and developpe some way to control your stress.
    Hijack if it was the VP who was admin before then some one with any technical background is an improvement. Dont forget most companys dont have a clue what security is about.
    I do get very worked up over tests..you may have a good point...
    We just got through the NT to 2003 upgrade and we are doing the exchange upgrade in august. I know how ya feel lots of hours.

Hijack, honestly you're being an ass...I have no reaosn to lie it isnt even logical? what could I possibly gain?
    Maybe I am in over my head...But I have a family to support so quiting isnt an option. thanks for your support...

I hate to say this but hjack does have point, if you've been hired as the security admin for a bank in the USA, I highly recommend you sit down and rethink what you're doing. I don't how to be polite about it, but if you're doubting your own skills and have failed certifications, you really shouldn't be in charge of a institution that handles other people's money. Talk to the higher ups and tell them that you don't feel prepared for the position and ask for training or a assisstant who knows what he/she is doing so that you can learn. You seem to have a background with IT working for an ISP and doing tech support, that could be a good start for you to get some training in managing a network and etc.

Maybe some of the more expierenced members will be able to tell you a bit more on what you should do.

Originally posted here by madjag291
    I hate to say this but hjack does have point, if you've been hired as the security admin for a bank in the USA, I highly recommend you sit down and rethink what you're doing. I don't how to be polite about it, but if you're doubting your own skills and have failed certifications, you really shouldn't be in charge of a institution that handles other people's money. Talk to the higher ups and tell them that you don't feel prepared for the position and ask for training or a assisstant who knows what he/she is doing so that you can learn. You seem to have a background with IT working for an ISP and doing tech support, that could be a good start for you to get some training in managing a network and etc.

Maybe some of the more expierenced members will be able to tell you a bit more on what you should do.
    I very much appreciate your candid remarks and that you were polite rather than suggesting I am lying. (Hijack still fails to prove what I would gain by that)
    It is true i feel inadaquate. I also felt inadaquate with the software instalation job yet my boss felt i could do it and that I would learn. I never felt I could yet a year later i found myself doing the job and installing at some very high end repuatable companies. I did express my concern to the Network Manager (my boss). He said he hired me because he felt i was VERY teachable. He asked me technical questions in the interview and said I had a good background for learning security. I should admit I didnt apply for a security Job I applied for a help desk job and they were hiring for both. The only secirty related functions i have been doing to this point is Server patching and running reports gearing up for an audit.
    I have been finding little things here and there like to many domain admins, people having 24 hour access to the network when its not needed and fixing those issues.
    I did attend the Free Microsoft Security Summit in philly and I just went to a 1 day bank specific security seminar. I learned a lot.

The Recidivist
    I still can't belive after 2 post and several other references you have yet to relize my handle is
    H J A C K

not

H I J A C K

and your in an adminstrator posistion?

hjack
    - Friedrich Nietzsche