Thread: Traceroute and ASN Info.

Traceroute and ASN Info.

What exactly is the point of using traceroute with ASN information? I have been reading on it and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of it. I know that traceroute alone can help you identify routers and the like for a site, but I still don't really understand what the ASN information is really for. If anyone could shed some light on it with a dumbed down explanation I would be very greatful.

Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) is a formal language for abstractly describing messages to be exchanged among an extensive range of applications involving the Internet, intelligent network, cellular phones, ground-to-air communications, electronic commerce, secure electronic services, interactive television, intelligent transportation systems, Voice Over IP and others. Due to its streamlined encoding rules, ASN.1 is also reliable and ideal for wireless broadband and other resource-constrained environments. Its extensibility facilitates communications between newer and older versions of applications. In a world of change, ASN.1 is core technology, constantly adapting to new technologies.
    ASN.1 is a critical part of our daily lives; it's everywhere, but it works so well it's invisible!

I can not give you a simplier answer, because I am just starting to read up on the subject myself, and I am not sure I understand it very well yet.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thanks therenegade. I went further and I am reading the RFC at this moment. I am getting into how all the networks work. It is so interesting to find out how things move around on the net. Thanks for the answers guys. I read on the link you gave me moxnix and i can see being a little confused . Thanks guys.

Don't worry, I confused myself. therenegade's link was a much better answer and alot more on track.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown