Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Data be retrived from Broken CDs

Regal Making Handler
    I can see no real problem with that...........there was nothing in the place where the holes were?...............a bit like a hard drive with damaged sectors, the system just skips them and goes to the next good one?
    You are, as always quite correct. Nihil.

My piont or is it point,.... that looks much better(i have had a few classes or was it glasses of red wine)

The disk i am refering too looked like swiss cheese. I do understand what you say though.

I have come across disks that would not be read, unless they were ruffed up a bit I would elaberate (dam the spell checker) but i would hate to be thought as as a would be cracker
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by The Grunt

I have also found petroleum jelly to work in the same fashion. Works every time on music cds.
    Yet another method of restoring a music CD or a burner CD is to take a little bit of mano, spread it thin, let it sit for a minute and then rub clean. Don't do this to game CDs though. I killed a copy of Soul Reaver trying it..
    Civilization is defined as the presence of cats.
    Not everything is flushable. Trust me.

Hey Hey,

To me broken doesn't have to mean in pieces, a clock is broken when it does work but it can still be whole. It could be a scratch, damaged data, erased data, etc... I've found that an absoluately amazing product is BadCopy Pro. From their product description....

Some situations where BadCopy Pro can help

Damaged floppy disk repair and floppy data recovery
    Damaged or defective CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW data recovery
    Recover inaccessible data on floppy disk or CD discs
    Rescue lost files from floppy disk or CD-R, CD-RW
    CD-R burning problems and data loss recovery
    Corrupted, unopenable or unreadable files recovery
    Retrieve data from all sessions on multi-session CDs
    Lost photos recovery for storages used in digital cameras
    Floppy disk deleted file or quick formatted disk recovery
    UDF and packet-writing disc. Supports DirectCD and InCD.
    Iomega ZIP disk, JAZ or MO Disk files and data recovery.

Risk-free: BadCopy is safe, no write action on your original disks, that finally saves the recovered data to a new folder you specify.
    I've only had one disk that it wasn't able to help me with. It was a Maxell CD-RW and a number of years old. It was able to tell me that the CD contained a 384MB track, however it said there were no files in the track. I later used ISOBuster to rip myself an ISO and then learned that the track was filled with 0s. So it wasn't that bad copy pro failed, there was just nothing there to save.

Peace,
    HT

Holograms !!!

Holograms !!

Holographic memory offers the possibility of storing 1 terabyte (TB) of data in a sugar-cube-sized crystal. A terabyte of data equals 1,000 gigabytes, 1 million megabytes or 1 trillion bytes. Data from more than 1,000 CDs could fit on a holographic memory system. Most computer hard drives only hold 10 to 40 GB of data, a small fraction of what a holographic memory system might hold...
    CD's are gonna fade out in the coming few decades...
    Holograms are the next generation data storage devices..
    Hologram stores the data in the form of pictures (For the physics part of it.. It stores both wavelenght and path diffence of the wave hece enabling 3D viewing.)
    Its major advantages are its high data storage capabilites and that the entire data can be retrieved even by getting a very small piece of hologram, but only a very small reduction in image resolution.

With such technologies on the market, you will be able to purchase the first holographic memory players by the time "Star Wars: Episode II" is released on home 3-D discs. This DVD-like disc would have a capacity 27 times greater than the 4.7-GB DVDs available today, and the playing device would have data rates 25 times faster than today's fastest DVD players
    Entire article here .
    XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com