Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 player help, cd help, external hard drive help

MP3 player help, cd help, external hard drive help

Three questions, just going to post them allunder this thread. First is I'm shopping for a new MP3 player any recommendations? I'd like something in the 100-250 dollar range. Next ? - I bought unreal tourny 2004 but my notebook will not read the install disc, it's mint condition, my comp reads all other discs fine. When I put it in it sounds like it begins to read it but then it sounds wierd like it isn't turning right or something. It runs fine on brother's comp. Last ? - I'm looking for an external harddrdive 30-50 gb. 100 -150 $ range. I've looked quite a bit but surprisingly I can't find anything too wonderful. ANy recs? Thanks.
    thebrannman

Hi,

No idea on the products: don't live in the USA.

With the CD, I have had that with a laptop. It had some funny clip mechanism in the centre of the drive. They did not locate properly on a particular CD, and I had to fiddle with it for ages before I got it to work.

If that is the problem, the CD might be a little "tight" so very gently go round the inside of the hole with a circular rat's tail file.

Cheers

Banned
    First is I'm shopping for a new MP3 player any recommendations? I'd like something in the 100-250 dollar range.
    I've had one called "creative Nomad MuVo 128 MB's. never let me down, 1 small battery (12 hours playback). The price range depend how much MB's u want.

I bought unreal tourny 2004 but my notebook will not read the install disc, it's mint condition, my comp reads all other discs fine.
    Go tot he store and exchange it. Maybe ur CD-ROM can't read it ...? Check the system requirements for the game.

I'm looking for an external harddrdive 30-50 gb. 100 -150 $ range.
    SimpleTech STI-U2F35/120 120 GB USB 2.0 / FireWire External Hard Drive

165$

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172574

Oooooo.... I love killing three birds with one stone...

First, the MP3 player, go for an Mini iPod if you're in that price range. I used Amazon for my price detail and got ~$230. I don't have any personal expierence with the Mini, but the normal ones kick so much ass, the Minis are sure to follow. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846

Second, the CD... I'm sort stumped on it but maybe (shot in the dark) the CD you have is a DVD and you're drive doesn't read DVDs?!? Other than that, I'd guess faulty CD or ... I don't know... sorry.

Third, external HD... I have one myself right here connected through USB, its a 60 GB monster and has served me for about a year now... the make is Acom Data... I got it for around ~$80 after a $50 mail-in rebate which took about 6 months to get. http://www.acomdata.com/master/frameset.html

- dave t

thanks everyone for feedback, I'll check out both ext harddrives. As for the cd, it's not faulty bc it works on bros comp, so I don't know if it would be just waisting my time exchanging it. But thanks.
    thebrannman

I checked out the acomdata ext hd and it's exactly what I want, but they don't sell it, they just talk about it; where can I buy it?
    thebrannman

I got mine at Best Buy, I'm sure that they still have them or if they don't check Circuit City or your local electronics store. =)

- dave t

I just saw the acomdata today at Radioshack for 200 bucks. 120 Gig, 7200 RPM, USB 2.0 Is it worth it?
    thebrannman

Depends if you need it, I needed mine as a storage for music, game images, and movies and out of the 60 gigs I have, 500 megs are open, so mine was much needed... for $200, I'd just get a new internal one connected through IDE cables and take the rest of your cash and throw it at a normal iPod. =)

Old Fart
    Go to www.pricewatch.com and check out the Archos ( www.archos.com ) Jukebox Multimedia (do a brand search under the mp3 player group). It's an mp3 player, a 20 (or 40) gig USB 2.0 HDD, a DVR, digital camera, digital camcorder and .avi viewer all in ONE! Oh...and it costs half of what an ipod does.

Apple-schmapple...ipods are over-rated and WAAAAAAY overpriced compared to the Archos line.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...