Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400 gig hds?

The Recidivist

400 gig hds?

Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX) announced today it has greatly expanded its line of personal computing hard drives, unveiling new internal and external hard drives with 400GB capacities, a new small footprint portable external hard drive with up to 100GB capacity and the world's first pocket external hard drive.

It also goes on to talk about a USB hd thats 5gigs in size.

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/...1,2170,00.html

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Damn that's a huge HarDrive it would take me forever just to come close to filling one of them up..
    Thanks for the link hjack i found plenty of handy information there..
    cheers

f2b:.

hijack

I don't even fill up the 200gb at home that I already have. The 400 would leave plenty of room for dust! Anyway, thanks for the read and computers will continue to get faster and HDD capacities continue to grow with the demand.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    of the only parts in the home pc world that did not develop like all other parts is the harddisk. ok they all got smaller in size and have more storage capacity, and they spin faster. However real structural improvements are not so common. Long time you had the ATA (EIDE) standard and SCSI, SCSI and ATA advanced into faster siblings like U320 SCSI and U-ATA and recently the SATA standard came out, but still the HDD stays the bottleneck in the box. Still it's impresive to see how fast the storage capacity standards are set. Not so long ago a disk larger than 8 GB was real freaky big, now it's peanuts. So 400 GB yep that's a lot of space, besides for those looking for large disks, Lacie makes external storage devices with 500 GB capacity with USB2.0 and Firewire connectivity.

You have a good point there VictorKaum, all the effort that has gone into advancing hard drives seems to have just gone into making them bigger.

To the avarage bloke buying a computer he just wants to see 100GB, he prob doesn't know what 7200rpm means, which is why IMHO they have just been made bigger.

Unlike processors where bigger numbers means a faster processor, hdd sizes obviously dont relate to speed!

I remeber starting this post off last year, Ive yet to see the Hard Drives tho!

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...light=diskless

DAMN, who would acctually need a 400gb hard drive. I had a 40gb and i run winXP and RH9, i didnt even fill up half of it.

Depends what you do with it.

If you copy a dvd to your hard drive, there is anything upto 9GB gone, just with one film!

Alot of the newer games are over a 1GB now aswell.

Sooner or later (if there isnt already) games will be on DVD media, so larger hard drives are going to be a must!

wow 400 gigs...imagine a whole server filled with those ...man its making me sick of dreaming of stuff like that, like servers with TBs which cost $10,000+ but its a nice thing that hard drive...kinda like that mini drive, the size of an eyeball with like 3 gigs, i posted that somewhere i believe...

UT2004 takes up 5.5 GB on it's own, UT2003 takes up 3GB, Thief takes up 2Gb... My drive fills up fast...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

w00t!

I can imagine someone's server moving over to that. Lucky person they are. Not my server though -- PATA & SCSI here. I can't even hope to make room in my budget for a 36GB SCSI disk -- a SCSI version of this would bankrupt me. I can just hope to score some cheap disks off of that person upgrading though...I wouldn't mind having 250gb disks.

-- Dreaming --

I could really use two of those drives in RAID-1 right now, the way my system has been acting up. Dang, splitting a 400GB RAID array, upgrading, and then recovering painlessly when everything decides to go haywire like it did this week... And having kick butt loading times for games to boot.

What a dream -- I hope it comes true