Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls for Linux

Originally posted here by madjag291
    i love you both but why go with software unless ure pretty much on dial up which is rare these days.... most, pretty sure all, routers come with a firewall in them that u can figure to the upmost extent.. i dont know whyd youd want to waste ur precious resources or whatever htey are in linux on a software firewall..??

as for any that i know of.. i know 0, i played with the rh9 firewall for bou 1 hour and gave up =P
    I have found routers (home ones anyways) make filesharing crappy and slowwwww.

I never bothered with firewall for slackware, no point unless on a network with other boxes and then you should have a hardware firewall anyways. Anyhoo , isn't IPFW available for linux? Its syntax is a million times easier to use than iptables.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I use iptables too

used to write them in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but now append it to /etc/rc.d/rc.ip_forward

Working on a new script for my firewall at home, will feature some of iptabels lesser known functions like the tarpit from the patch-o-matic extra's http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html
    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1723

I prefer not to use a GUI to configure
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I have always used shorewall . It came with my first distro (mandrake) and learning IPtables has been on the backburner. Shorewall is easy to configure IPtables script; it can sit on a gateway box or a standalone, whatever your want. It accomodates most if not all the features of IPtables.

Developer Extraordinar
    I really like FW-Jay for setting up IPTables. It's really easy, has many options, isn't a large program, and can be run directly from the terminal.

http://firewall-jay.sourceforge.net/

It's got alot of great features, like port forwarding if needed, an ad blocking option (blocks IPs of servers ads are on), very easy to configure and easy to use.

MB

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    That's why you don't get a home router when you plan on doing massive sharing and etc, you get a industrial router with better capabilities..

Different firewalls, like different operating systems offer different architectures and functionalities and levels of assurance.

If you are looking for a firewall that can verify the actual content of the data iptables is utterly worthless as it lacks this functionality.
    Commander Data

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245733

FWTK on Linux

Code:
    ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/fwtk-v1.3.tar.Z

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=1204
    http://www.pauck.de/marco/misc/fwtk_on_linux.html

"Useful Linux resources include the Linux NET-2 HOWTO, the Linux Firewall HOWTO, the Linux Multiple Ethernet mini-HOWTO, and the Linux Kernel HOWTO. All of these are available on sunsite.unc.edu, tsx-11.mit.edu, and their mirrors."

Several excellent books on firewalls are:

Firewalls and Internet Security. Cheswick & Bellovin, Addison Wesley.
    Building Internet Firewalls. Chapman & Zwicky, O'Reilly & Associates.
    Internet Firewalls and Network Security. Siyan & Hare, New Riders Publishing.

I never bothered with firewall for slackware, no point unless on a network with other boxes and then you should have a hardware firewall anyways. Anyhoo , isn't IPFW available for linux? Its syntax is a million times easier to use than iptables.

No point in having a firewall for slackware, unless you're on a neetwork with other boxes? Uhm ... Do you know what the inter[net] is?

Originally posted here by SexyBadGirl
    No point in having a firewall for slackware, unless you're on a neetwork with other boxes? Uhm ... Do you know what the inter[net] is?
    Qualify your statement, your a smart guy. Prove me wrong with info instead of half assed comments I expect better from you than just cheap vitriol. Wtf is someone gonna do to a home box with no services exposed and nothing to exploit?
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee

After rereading , i will clarify although the intention was quite obvious was it not?
    "no point unless on your home network with other boxes and then you should have a hardware firewall anyways if connected to the internet. "

And ignore the above post as i had misinterpeted quad/sbgs statement due to not realizing mine was not obvious enough for him/her.

After rereading , i will clarify although the intention was quite obvious was it not?
    "no point unless on your home network with other boxes and then you should have a hardware firewall anyways if connected to the internet. "

And ignore the above post as i had misinterpeted quad/sbgs statement due to not realizing mine was not obvious enough for him/her.
    Sir "Hardware Firewall" & "Physical Firewall" are incorrect terminology, the proper term is "Dedicated Firewall".

Commander Data

just messing with ya....