Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avast! vs. ....

Question Avast! vs. ....

Ok, I know we're all quite sick of the "which AV/Firewall/whatever is better?" questions, so this one is very specific. I've noticed Avast! antivirus has yet to be discussed much among the other big name AVs we've mentioned on other threads (including the countless "Which AV is better?" threads).

So, how does Avast! antivirus specifically compare to the other free AVs out there? For instance, Avast! vs. AVG, etc. Reason I'm asking is that I use Avast! ever since I could no longer afford paying for Symantec stuff, and I've been very happy with it, especially it's automated live update feature. But I don't yet have any experience with AVG or the other free AVs that I've heard quite a bit of praise on.

Anyway, please keep responses focused on simply Avast! compared to other free AVs, so we don't drive the seniors nuts.

Hrmm, never heard of it. Mind to share a link to the download? That way I can compare it to the other one's I've used. Thanks
    Space For Rent.. =]

I have used Avast!. The only issue I have with it is that it's deep scan takes a really long time.

-Cheers-

Banned
    I use Avast, but after seeing this, I might change back to AVG. That page shows that Avast didn't pass Virus Bulletin's 100%-test (Alwil still has the logo on their website, though...).

That would be www.avast.com

The deep scan does take a while, but I found the AVG scan to be pretty long as well. It also has a neat feature in that it has it's own screensaver. It actually runs a virus scan everytime the screensaver runs.

Thanks AngelicKnight for the link, I'ma download it then letcha' know what I think.
    Space For Rent.. =]

after seeing this, I might change back to AVG.
    Ouch, 9 passes, 19 fails. The test is based on:

o Detect all In the Wild viruses during both on-demand and on-access scanning in Virus Bulletin's comparative tests.
    o Generate no false positives when scanning a set of clean files.
    That may have answered my question...

Ugh, don't tell me your making me download this for no reason now
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    It's got a nice interface, and it says "Virus database has been updated" every time the virus database updates (duh), and that's pretty cool. Isn't that enough reason to download it?

No, I definately still want to know what you think on that. It's really served me well despite it's failings on those tests.