Thread: setting up mirror servers?!

setting up mirror servers?!

Alright I got another question!

My question is probably very simple for all you network gurus but I am trying to figure something out. I am setting up a windows 2003 server (my first experience with windows 2003). On this network I would like the client machines to pull everything from the servers (i.e. Microsoft Word is used off the server). Now my question is first, how do you set up a testing server so that I can test updates patches and so on and then when I feel they are alright to put onto the network they propagate with almost a click of a button? Secondly how do I set up the server so that it runs programs I choose and when the clients wants to open a .doc file it will ask the server to run Word. I know if I keep looking I will be able to find it, but I would still like to know how others have done it or are doing on their current networks.

- Adiz
    Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"

To my knowledge I dont believe that you can let word run off the server. I think when more than one person tries to open the application that it will say something to the effect of "This application is already in use" I may be wrong but that has been my experience with it. As far as setting up a test server you want to firewall that server off from the rest of the network and make sure it is not part of your AD system. In short make it a different domain name and a completely different tree, as to make sure if some wierd thing happens it will not start to propagate things and try to make users and the such. Also put it on a completely different subdomain

Once it is firewalled off, even though is a test machine the first thing I would do is make a backup, and continue to do this weekly. This way if one of these patches or program installs screws something up its only a 5-20 minute fix instead of having to reimage and reinstall and blah blah blah. Then you will be able to do any type of software hardware tests you want with this server. BTW: Just because this is a test server and on a different part of the network dont forget to include this into your security roll outs because its just as easy for your test server to get rooted as anything else and if you have this on your internet connection then the skiddies will still have control over bandwidth. I personally would run this server through another set of rules and limit the bw on it with a packetshaper.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

To my knowledge I dont believe that you can let word run off the server. I think when more than one person tries to open the application that it will say something to the effect of "This application is already in use" I may be wrong but that has been my experience with it.

Citrix does just that.
    I think you could also use terminal server.

create (if you have enough resources) an image of production networks (i mean servers) and test all on this mirror. Obviously, you must those test servers absolute segregate from production servers to avoid any kind of information exchange.
    After you have tested all, you can use Microsoft SUS to deploy patchs thru network. (SUS will be a good tool - version 2.0)
    ahn, SUS version 1.1 (current version) has some issues. Version 2.0 will be G.A. on 2nd half 2004 (i believe)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In keeping with the rest:
    Keep your applications on each individual machine, if they are all the same unit, a single 'ghost' image can be stored on the server as a back up.
    definitely use the server to save all the docs etc. With back ups, incremental or full, only requiring the one unit to focus on.

And to follow on from Spyrus' post re :- test server. I would add; if possible secure the test unit physically away from the other units, to make it obvious that it IS a different machine, with different requirements.
    I take it you WILL be taking leave sometimes ?
    And you just know what happens when you are not there to keep an eye on things.................

my 2c worth
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone