Thread: Need help with BIOS please

Need help with BIOS please

I just bought two sticks of 1 gig Corsair XMS PC-3200. I'm using a AMD
    XP 2500+ Barton and started it up Sunday night, after setting the memory
    frequency to 200 MHZ. It was working fine until yesterday morning, when I
    booted it back up. I set the mem freq. to 166 and saved the settings.
    Since I was in a rush to leave for work, I turned off the power just prior
    to loading the BIOS screen. Ever since then, my computer has been
    "non-responsive." Everything will still light up and has power, but when
    the computer is turned on, it doesn't beep (like it does prior to displaying
    the BIOS screen). Also, if the DVD-Rom and CD-RW is plugged into power, the
    light on the DVD-Rom will flicker continuously, while the CD-RW light will
    remain on. I'm also using Award Bios v.1.06. I read through the manual and
    didn't find any help. The video card is fine and the mobo or case doesn't
    smell like anything fried.

Asus A7N8X-D v.2.0
    AMD XP 2500+ Barton (unlocked)
    1 gig Corsair XMS PC-3200
    120 gig Seagate SATA drive
    120 gig WD drive
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    PSU - 550 W

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks.

Also, for some reason there is no POST beep when the computer is turned on. Any ideas on what may need to be done? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

There should be a jumper close to the CPU on your MoBo that will reset the BIOS?

Power OFF, open case, reset jumper, power ON......................power OFF, set jumper back, power ON.

The setting is your FSB speed, not your memory, I think.......that times the multiplier determines the speed at which your processor runs.

I have seen the same on several occasions where a Duron processor has had the value set to 133, and they only support 100

Let me know if that doesn't work

I would check the Jumper that Nihil suggested.
    And if that don't work then have you still got the old sticks..
    The reason for this is because i know that with some Award Bios you can only use so much Ram, so insert some smaller Ram and see if at all the circumstances change..
    Then try and insert 1 stick at a time.

cheers
    .:front2back:.

Not sure about the ASUS board, but I had a similar problem when flashing my bios on my Gigabyte mobo. Unfortunately my board didn't have the neato jumper, so I was forced to remove the CMOS battery, give it ample time to discharge (atleast 15 minutes or so, maybe longer) and replace it and try again. I must have worried myself sick when I did that, so don't stress if you have to redo it a few times. Jumper is best option if you have it, but the battery does the same thing!

Thanks for your help guys. I had bought the motherboard and cpu on saturday, the one that just passed. so i called the company i bought it from to ask for their suggestions and they said if that didn't work to bring it in. So i tried what they told me to do which was run the board outside of the case without the cpu and everthing, just have the board plugged in. It still didn't work, so i took the board and cpu over to the store so they could check it and it turns out the chip was done and the socket on the motherboard was toast too. So i think they will be replacing it for free, not sure yet though if that is true or not. But thank you all for your help and your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

So long as the board is under warranty and you didn't intentionally fry it, they will pretty much replace it for free. No worries.

Well i hope that when you get it back that it works properly..
    And they should replace it for nothing, because you only had it for a few days so i should think that it would be under some sort of Warranty..

cheers
    f2b:.