Thread: networking help

networking help

I need help to setup small home network with internet connection sharing.Here is scenario.I have starband satellite connection .Starband modem 360 are connected to internet.My main computer (windows xp pro) are directly connected to starband modem.I have another network card that connected to 8 port belkin switch.My connection to starband uses dynamic ip address.rest of the computers are connected to belkin switch.starband modem does not allow any switch or router to connect to with it.I wanted my other computer to share the internet connection through my main computer.I heard about ICS but not enough information on it. any help appreciated thanks

right click the starband network card and click on properties, then go over to the advanced tab and check share this internet connection -- windows takes care of everything else but you have to keep that computer on in order for the rest of your computers to connect
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

on starband connection i have enable ICS.I have a another question regarding networking.Starband network connection is getting dynamic ip.But another network adapterwill get ip address 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but default gateway is blank.my question is how this work.

:d

maybe these will help you :

1). Make ur first computer which connected to the modem as 192.168.0.1 and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.

2). On your second computer which you wanted to get internet share make the IP address is 192.168.0.2 - 255 , and you should put the IP Address of your first computer on your Default Gateway Address and on DNS you put again the IP address of your first computer.

So those will view like this :

Comp A
    IP Address : 192.168.0.1
    SubnetMask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Comp B
    IP Address : 192.168.0.2
    SubnetMask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS : 192.168.0.1

on starband connection i have enable ICS.I have a another question regarding networking.Starband network connection is getting dynamic ip.But another network adapterwill get ip address 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but default gateway is blank.my question is how this work.
    To share your internet connection to another computer you will need some criteria or i call that identity : Your second computer which need the internet share will find the computer which have the internet connection and of course you must make the first computer which connected to the net as available to share the connection to other computer. So u must identify your first computer as 192.168.0.1 and then put your first computer IP Address on the Default Gateway on your second computer who need the internet share.

Hope this will help

Just Another Geek
    Mike, eventhough you are correct, if you setup ICS you can use DHCP on all your other computers to get the correct ip addresses, subnetmasks etc. No need to do this by hand.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thanks mike & sirdice,
    as soon as i enable ics on ics host(computer A) my connection with starband is not working.starband does not provide any support with internet connection sharing.Any other way i can share internet connection

Regal Making Handler
    I have just had a look at there web site. It would seem that if you want to use ics with starband you would have to upgrade to the small office package they offer. Details

here:http://www.starband.com/services.asp
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

yep SirDice .. i know that.

As much fun as setting ICS sounds I am willing to bet that you could still utilize a router. What i would do is go out and purchase a router of your liking (I prefer linksys, good cheap, reliable) Then on your main pc (the one that is currently connected to your broadband) go to start>Run> and type in cmd hit enter. once this black dos screen comes up type in ipconfig /all in this list you will see something called physical address. this is your MAC address. Most of the satellite company's just use a form of MAC filtering to figure out if you have one or more computers on the internet.

What you need to do now is access your linksys router, and look for the option called Clone Mac Address. Type in the mac address of your computer and then connect the router to your satellite modem. Restart (power cycle) your modem and now the router should work beautifully and you should be able to hook up as many computers as your heart desires to this router. Worst case scenario, most retail locations will return it if something freaky happens and it doesnt work
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here