Thread: Automating Network install

Automating Network install

Ok so this fits into multiple topics so i just chose misc category. But anyway....

What I want to do is: Lately with my job I have been having to do a lot of router installs (retail routers). These are linksys, netgear, and dlink. Mostly linksys though. I am looking for a way to create a program that will either take simple user input and auto connect and run through the setup or have a program that will use a general setup and then I can just connect and quickly change my SSID's and WEP passwords.

Ultimately I would prefer the first, I am a programmer by NO means. But i am willing to learn a language and try to get this setup and working. the only things I am fluent with are batch files and HTML but i dont think those are going to be enough to login to a webbased GUI and take user input and allow what I am doing. Any insight would be much appreciated and I will glady share the source code and the step by step process with everyone.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=41 something like that? Not sure exactly what steps you want to automate.

You can write shell scripts and batch files that will log into a website (GUI) and make any I/O you want. It is mostly a matter of knowing what the variable names are on each page that you need to modify.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

AO French Antique News Whore
    Any automatisation program could do that (I think). I personnally use Automate (http://www.unisyn.com/). It's just a matter of good programmaing.

You can try to find a program in this list.

http://www.tucows.com/macros95_default.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I would recommend autoit http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/ , it comes with really good docs detailing how to script GUI installs and even has a windows inspector to allow you to find the names etc of the windows/buttons you interact with and best of all its freeware

I managed to knock up a script in about 2 hours for a complicated gui install and I have never used it before, I like the option to specify the postion to click at either by the whole screen or relative the the windows you are interacting with, ok I am sad

ultimately a batch file would be the easiest if linksys/dlink/netgear allow command line access. To my knowlege they dont. I hope I am wrong and someone knows an easier way to login. I want to double click an exe/batch file on any pc and have it ask for a couple of different fields: SSID name, WEP key word, New password, then add MAC address' that are currently connected. Then I want it to take these inputed pieces of data and login to the router and input the data into the router settings. I think this auto program might do it but I definitely need it in an executable format.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

AO French Antique News Whore
    It's possible with a hotkey..

I could set a hotkey to open IE, open the webpage I want, login, go whatever I want with a press of a hotkey with Automate.

You'll not do this with a batch file but only an automatisation program.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Autoit, the tool I recommended has a script compiler that converts its files to self contained exe's

Just Another Geek
    You could script it with Perl. Have a look at the LWP module or if you can use telnet to configure them have a look at Net::Telnet.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.