Thread: Problem installing WIN Server 2003

Problem installing WIN Server 2003

Hi everybody,

Trying to install WIN Server 2003 with 98 boot disks (followed directions on MS web support).

I do the whole bit with smartdrv and everthing copies fine to the hard drive (brand new hard drive; have tried 2 others also). Then the computer reboots to cd with Server 2003 screen comes up.

Then I can either convert my partition to NTFS or format the hard drive with NTFS.

Either way when it goes to copy files from the cd to hard drive after formatiing NTFS, it won't copy certain files, such as, ntldr.sys, ntdis.sys, netstat.sys, among many others.

Curious to see if anybody has had the same problems in the past. My BIOS is 2002 so I am curious if I have to flash and upgrade it. Never have done that but it sounds like it could create a problem if messed up.

Is there another way to install WIN Server 2003 at all? I heard that you can use another way with floppies (about 6 of them needed), but I am not sure (could not find any info on it).

Thank you for you help in advanced...

AO French Antique News Whore
    1) Windows 2003 can be install from a CD

2) Usually, when you have copy error, it's mean you have a crack version of Win2003

3) If you have a official copy of Win2003, just format all your hard drive and let your computer boot from the Cd-Rom. *Best Thing to Do)
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK,

I'll probably get negged but yes it is a copy of WIN 2003 Standard. I am trying to set it up in a demo environment at my house.

Have you heard of this before with a copy of WIN Server 2003?

I have never heard of this issue before... Looks like I will have to make a purchase

Thanks again

I saw this problem in Windows XP a LOT! Since it was working, it's probably the same in Windows 2003.

Where did you get your copy from? Internet? Work?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK,

A buddy of mine from his company. I am interested if he has ever tried it out or if he installed from the originale on his home network. I don't trust any of those crackz on the internet.

I left a message for him. I waiting to hear back...

Thanks for the reply. I will follow up...

You know Windows 2003 have an activation. You'll only have it for 1 month to use it.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Umm.. What?

What the heck are you talking about?

yeah you have 30 days to use it till you have to activate it.

Why don't you just get a Eval version of Server 2003. That way you can use it for 6 months before having to buy or reinstall.

I got a full version of Microsoft Windows Server Enterprise Edition + 25 client licenses for free

Its not a Eval version but a full version. lol
    =

Intereseting stuff!!!

SDK... Good call. I had never known WIN Server 2003 had an expiration embedded in it. Good security feature.

I think there is a lot of techs out there who do not know this fact...

I downloaded an evalution copy (thanks Cheyeenee; never knew about it), and everything worked out fine.

Thanks for the info guys...