Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Tutorials Forum.

Other Tutorials Forum.

Well, I, like a few other members, when I login check the home page first. And I believe the Other Tutorials forum should also be placed on the home page because not a lot of people read what's in the other tutorials forum because it's not on the home page and it doesn't get credited as much as the other forums. The other tutorials forum has some very good tutorials and I believe should also be acknowledged on the home page just as the others are.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The reason it's not on the front page is because it doesn't have a security need for it. If we open it up to have Other Tutorials on the front page then I suspect we'll see requests for Operating Systems, GCC, etc. The focus of the site is supposed to be Security. The rest is, in a sense, add-on.

I personally wouldn't want it there but if the community says otherwise then I will talk to intmon about it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

how about a display all forums option? so users can either have the default 'security only' on the front page or if they like they can choose to enable all forums on main page

even better would be to allow users to select which forums they wish to see on the main page themselves - now that would be quality

v_Ln

yea, I was thinking of that as well just didn't add it to my original suggestion...

EDIT: Just thought about it, maybe it could be another site benift once you get to senior you can choose what goes on the home page..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Originally posted here by Raion
    EDIT: Just thought about it, maybe it could be another site benift once you get to senior you can choose what goes on the home page..
    Yeah, you don't care cause you're already a senior citizen.... err member!

Also remember if you scroll down more on the home page you'll see a link that says "view more active topics" and this will show you the active topics from non-security forums.

I like val's idea, the option to choose what forums you see on the main page. That might not be so easy to implement though..

mjk

Sure it is right mnstrgrl? Shouldn't take too long to implement this idea..

The Recidivist
    I think being able to customize your home page to display which forums you want to view is a great idea. I don't know about it being an earned site benfiet though. What do you suggest would be the criteria meet before you could do this?

The other tutorials forum being on the frontpage is also, imho, a great idea. While they might not be security related, several of the threads in there could be somethign useful to the people of this site and to those who visits. At least something to bait new members that this is not only a security site, but a site with a complete well-roundness which focuses on security.

Your one-stop tech shop if you will.

just my $0.02

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

I like vals idea... I think it would be good if it came along with the custom avatar, that way the server wouldn't have to remember all the custom setups for people who post once and then never come back.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

The Recidivist
    While I don't have a better idea I belive that 10 post is not enough.

When I can think of something better I will post it.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sure it is right mnstrgrl? Shouldn't take too long to implement this idea..
    Nope, not too hard. The only difficulty with such things is deciding on the best way/place to keep user customization data that has to be stored for things like this.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.