Thread: Having a hard time internet sharing 2 XP machines together

Having a hard time internet sharing 2 XP machines together

Heyya all,

Ive have a problem.

My mate and i have an XP machine each, he has Home and i have Professional. Ive been trying to hook them up for ages, posted in forums, even resorted to the MS help service. Followed the tuts step by step, and still nothing.

I was wondering if it is possible through the difference editions, if so, please tell me how to do it.

It is running with a hub in between and the external modem on my COM1.

|His|-----|Hub|-----|Mine|-----|Modem|

Thanks for any help possible,

Erm, while it probably doesn't matter, would it make more sense to go

[you]
    |
    \/
    [hub] <-[him]
    |
    \/
    [modem]

Besides that, make for ease of use, make sure you are both in the same workgroup (Home is MSHOME by default, whereas Pro is WORKGROUP, I think...)

If you don't want to do that, a little quick that seems to work is to go to the Folder Options, and set it to the Oldschool Folder View (not sure on terminology, I'm on a Mac now....please....no flames...). Then "Entire Network" will appear. Click on that, go to Windows Network (or whatever), then you can go back to the XP folder view, and that should still be there. You should be able to see him then. We've done this at several LAN parties we've thrown, and it seems to work ok.

If you can't get anything to work, try changing the physical arrangement. We had problems seeing everyone on the network using multiple hubs, so we spent a hundred some dollars and got a 20 port switch. Works like a charm.

EDIT: Meh, I misread the post. This was for inet sharing, not filesharing. My bad.
    I\'m back.

BAsicly I am repeating what embro1001 has said.. except for the network layout

and the external modem on my COM1.

I am assuming here that the modem is a Dialup Modem (ie 56k).. in which case stick to the layout you have..

Easiest to go into Network Connection in the control panel: select the "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" Wizard on the side panel.

On your machine:
    Be sure to select: "This Computer Connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer""
    Computer name and description as you please
    The workgroup name this need to be the same for file sharing.. best that you use the same name on each "MSHOME" is the default. (Home and Pro)
    then let the wizard do his thing.. at the end select finish now.. don't worry about making a Config disk, just go to his machine and start the process all over.

Your friends:
    It will need to select: "This Computer connects to the internet through another computer..."
    Computer name and description as He pleases
    Set the Workgorup name to exactly the same as on your machine
    follow the wizard to the end. and again don't worry about making a config disk..

done..

When you go to your machine and from the Command prompt type "IPCONFIG" it should read as follows

IP Address..........192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask.......255.255.255.0

And your Friends

IP Address..........192.168.0.x (x being any number from 2 upwards to 254)
    Subnet Mask.......255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway..192.168.0.1

And so long as there are no funny firewalls on either machine like Zonealarm etc.. if these are misconfigured they will certainly block Internet connection sharing..

See how ya go

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Oh forgot:

If his IP is not as I pointed out.. Right click on the connection and select repair..

Your machine is the DHCP Server for his.. so yours needs to be turned on and running before his will obtain a IP address..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Not to be nitpicking, but only to clear up my personal confusion:
    IP Address..........192.168.0.x (x being any number from 2 upwards to 254)
    Is that to say this IP Address would be like <192.168.0.2/3/4/5...> or as my router (Gateway) gives out <192.168.0.101/102/103....> ?

Or in other words is connecting 2 computers with internet sharing Box2>Box1>Gateway that different on the IP Addresses to what the DHCP of my router would be?

Box 1>------|
    Box 2>------|>Router>Internet Connection
    Box 3>------|

Note> My main box is 192.168.0.100 and the Gateway is 192.168.0.1

I know this is probably a very irrelevant point/question, but I tend to be very literal minded (sometimes).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hey Hey,

I'm not really adding much, but I've got a little to add.

You've got an external modem on Com1? an old Serial Modem? I wonder if that would cause any problems (I don't know.. just throwing out ideas)... So I'm assuming this is dial-up? Or do you have DSL/Cable that connects that way? Because if you have DSL (using PPPoE) regardless of how many times you try, you'll never get a connection.. XP Just doesn't work well with PPPoE when you try to implement ICS.

PracticallyNetworked is a great resource for things like this... You should probably check out this link

Peace,
    HT

OK Maybe I'm missing the point here but are we talking about ICS ?? (Internet Connection Sharing ??) if so then surely one PC (XP Pro machine) should have this switched on this would provide basic DHCP server function on the "Sharing" PC (The XP Pro Machine) and if the XP Home machine is allocated an IP (That is what DHCP means ain't it ??) this is if you use a HUB or Cross Over
    Lack Of Planning on your part Does NOT constitute an EMERGENCY on mine !!!!!!!!!!!

@ HTRegz works for me..
    DSL Modem/Router =>XPbox-1 =>Hub=>restof network

and

DSL Modem/Router =>Hub=>rest of network

also

Dial up Modem =>XPBox/Smoothwall Box=>Hub=>rest of network

XP can be a pig if you try to set your own IP's and expect ICS to work.. that is why for home systems I use IP DHCP assigned on the clients.. I care for a few networks that use the above configuration .

So long as The ICS Server..the main Box.. is able to connect and brows the internet.. the dialup modem is no longer in consideration..ICS and its settings are then the important

@ Linix_obo

Yes..

Cheers