Bank One - Discriminates against South Side Coommunity;

Thread: Bank One - Discriminates against South Side Coommunity;

Bank One - Discriminates against South Side Coommunity;

Full Article: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/061504_ns_bankone.html

A bank branch on the high-crime south side of Chicago is accused of being racist because it requires customers to go through a metal detector on their way into the building, reports ABC7.

Protestors are demanding an apology and that the magnetometer be removed from the Bank One branch at 81st and South Cottage Grove.

The Rev. Michael Pleger of Saint Sabina Catholic Church called the situation, “pure racism, racial profiling, black while banking, it's stereotyping, it's sending every negative message you can send.”

State Sen. Jacqueline Collins agreed. " When Bank One only enacts such restrictive access and displays such offensive signage within this African American community, then this policy becomes demeaning, disrespectful, and discriminating," she said.
    Hmmmm...... So, does this mean that the bars you see protecting the windows of local businesses and homes in this section of Chicago, are actually signs of racism and should be torn out, because windows in the better parts of Chicago are not barred?

It will never cease to amaze me how some people live in the "complaint line" and always look for the negative connotations. This is not an example of racism. This is an example of the bank attempting to protect it's investment. If only black people were required to pass through the metal detector, then there would be a legitimate reason for complaint. As it is though, everyone must pass through the metal detector, so no discrimination has occured.

These people really have no room to complain. The bank is providing a service to the community by building the bank in the first place. As a matter of fact, I bet that the level of security would be admired by the Federal and State regulatory agencies.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Banned
    I wonder what Bill Cosby's got to say about this... heh.

Stuff like this always reminds me of that black guy who sued the computer industry for using terms like "master" and "slave"

Regal Making Handler
    Maybe they are worried that all the bling bling will be shown to be ferris metal and not precious.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Bank One is huge and they suck for customer service. I would just close the branch and be finished with it. Can't generate that much to their billions in assets.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

A buisness went to the trible counsel of a N.M. Indian tribe and requested land to build a factory on. They agreed to employ 75% Indians and even move some into management positions, as they became qualified.
    This worked very well for almost 20 years, untill Union organisers started trying to unionise the factory. They showed the workers that other workers in the East were making more and had higher benifits and such.
    The workers went for the union and demanded higher wages and benifits.
    The factory owners closed the plant.
    All the workers are now unemployeed.
    The once thriving economy of a rural area of N.M. is again a poverty laden area, with 90% of its residence on public assistance.

If the bank is being blamed for being discriminatory by safeguarding their buiness, then close down that branch and remove its presents from the area.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hey media! Lets see some numbers!

Crime in Cottage Grove
    http://www.uchicago.edu/commonsense/crime-report.html

That says cottage grove avenue, but I believe that #3 is the actual area. Is there actually a problem with crime in the area? Thanks ABC 7 news, for telling us! Ya buncha dorks!

moxnix you wouldn't happen to have more info on that factory in NM would you? thats a real good story to point to in an argument and id like to know more about it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob1,
    Sorry, I don't have any documentation on it at all. I know it took place in or around the Farmington N.M. area at about the late 1960's or very early 70's.

I was working as a field engineer for an atmospheric research compony at the time. We were putting in a 200 foot tall tower as part of a polution control study of the (then) new power plant being built just outside of Farminton N.M. We were having union problems at the time and this 'story' was told to me by one of the residence workers ( non union) that we had on site.

I have absolutely no idea where you could find documentation of it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I see that same thing all over Ohio with small factories. Union boss shows up in a black limousine, gets the workers riled up and management nervous. Six month later the workers want a union, plant closes moves. I am talking mom and pop small stuff. I mean the media doesn't care about a little factory making rope, or one making powered milk or another making seats. No sources for those either, just word of mouth from those who used to work at them.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.