Firefox .9 Crashing on Start

Thread: Firefox .9 Crashing on Start

Firefox .9 Crashing on Start

Well last night I downloaded the new Firefox, .9, and spent about two hours try to figure out why it kept crashing on me everytime I started it up... so this morning I decided to do some searching and found this:

Go to your profile directory. Under Windows, this will be C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox. Under Macintosh OS X, this will be ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox. Under Linux, this will be ~/.mozilla/firefox/.

Open prefs.js with a text editor, and remove the line containing "update.lastUpdateDate" if it exists. Then start Firefox and turn off all software and extension update preferences (Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Software Update) - but leave "Allow web sites to install software" alone.

Thanks to Hendikins for this.

Hopefully that should work. If it doesn't, feel free to post your problem in a seperate thread. Thank you!

So if anyone else is having this problem, that should fix it.. enjoy.

After reading this, I redownloaded the binary and apparently they updated it since last night... so if you're having this problem, redownload Firefox, it should be fixed.

- dave t

Regal Making Handler
    Thanks for that Madjag:

I think i'll stick with 8 for a while longer. Give them some more time to work the bugs out.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry