Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qualifications

Hey thanks for the feedback guys/girls. I think i am going to try and get lots of work experiance over the summer (been to help admins at my dads work a few times already). I will also have to start reading lots me thinks

Coming from a background of strictly blue-collar workers (9 - 5 unions) it is very odd that both my elder brother and I have jobs in the IT field.

I got my job on a friek accident. I started webdesign at around 14 years old just toying around with you basic tags. I love it and started to look into more computer systems. After formatting my parents HD a few times and reloading the OS's and drivers I realized I sorta liked this stuff however sports took priority to anything else.

I sorta forgot about the computer deal (everyone once in awhile I would tap around a throw up a quick page on angelfire nothing major). However, I got a small internchip job filing papers, stapling, copying papers, making coffee (the bitch job). I was 16 at the time they hated their webdesigner he was horrible and was a cocky *****. So, one day he decided that he wasn't going to come in. We needed something changed on the website and they announced over the PA system that if anyone had any knowledge to come to the CEO's office. Well I walked in unsure of myself hopeing to see at least one other person there but alas I was the only one. She knew me from seeing me around the office and invited me to sit down. She asked me of my previous experience and so forth I explained that I had no real training just sorta toying. She asked, "have you ever done web design before?" Well since I am pretty outgoing I replied, "Oh yeah, no problem!" (inside i just wanted to go **** myself). Anyway I was given the info to create the change. I quickly made the change headed back to the CEO's office told her it was done and handed her a printoff of that change (Something I have always done I still like a papertrail) she didn't even look up nodded and I turned and left. Three hours went by and I was continuing the bitch work thinking back on 15 min of supremem powered I weilded over the entire site. Over the PA again came the CEO's voice asking for me by name to come to the office ASAP. I thought I crap what did I screw up. So I headed up the CEO's office. I walked it acting like nothing was wrong (scared shitless inside). She offered me a seat again. I sat and she explained to me how she would like to get rid of their current webdesigner I told her, "you gotta do what you gotta do." She nodded and told me to meet with her the next day at 11 am.

The next day I walked into the office and satdown. She was on the phone and I waited for about 15 min. She hung up sipped her coffee and looked at me she told me that I acted alot older then my age. I thanked her for the remark. She nodded then she asked me if I would like to take over complete and full control over the website. This would include a hefty raise and my own office and a departmental allowance (that needed to be spend on computers) so I sat back in the chair let our a sigh** and replied, "I hate making quick rash decisions but, Yes! I will take the job."

Well since then I have moved up in the ranking and now I am head of the IT department and the goto guy when things fall to ****! But with it come more raises and stuff. I know I am truly blessed and it sorta fell into my lap. It is a great opportunity for me (being only 19) I am extremely greatful.

I am sure if you apply youself to this you will get it, it is not always about taking classes (although It will help) alot of it is being in the right place at the right time. I am still taking college classes and I would encourage you to do that same but don't always focus on the degree you need to understand it thats what matters (at least to me).

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.