Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting files in use

Greetings...I have a prob...

My first post... Hello to all!

Now my problem... First off, I did search this forum before posting. Also checked Symantec for help....big zero

I noticed 3 days or so ago that I had a couple files I could not delete ....message said they were in use. Tried shutting down any and all applications but the bare minimum....no effect. Virus scans showed my PC was clean. And I am religious about updating definitions. So while browsing the web yesterday, I get a virus alert. It labeled the cause as 'URL-Directory-Transversal' and said that it originated on my network. Now although I am config'd for networks (LAN-gaming and such), I'm not on an active full-time network. I ran regedit to look for anything suspicious, tho I might as well have been looking for mouse feathers in a haystack. Also ran services.msc to see if anything running might resemble any other virus/trojan I found while browsing symantec. The only other thing of note that I found was that both files (which are .exe files), in properties>program>advanced (Windows PIF Settings) showed 'Autoexec filename: %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT' and 'Config filename: %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT'. I have no idea if that means anything.

I dl'd the files on Kazaa (it's ok to laugh...I'm a shmuck). They were old MS-DOS games, or so I thought. However, they did not give any virus alert upon download completion. But then again, they didn't work either...hence my trying to delete them

So, when everyone is done having a good bellylaugh, does anyone have an idea how I can fix this and avoid rebuilding my system? Gah...having an unclean system gives me that scotchtape-stuck-to-a-cat's-paw reflexive twitch

- NF

The Recidivist
    Did u try starting in safe mode and deleting the files that way?

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

AO French Antique News Whore
    Use that! It'll deleted them for sure!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

Tried starting in diagnostic mode (this is the same as safe mode correct?) but still could not delete the files. SDK, if I use that and it works, do you have any idea if it will also remove whatever is giving my 'puter the flu?

- NF

Sorry but I'm French Canadian and not quite sure what you mean by giving your puter the flu?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

LOL sorry....what I meant was will removing the files also remove what was causing my security alert. The answer is no. I successfully removed the files with copylock (thank you SDK), but then to check, I navigated to the webpage that originally gave me the security alert and it came up just like before. And of all places it was on homdepot.com :rollseyes:

- NF

Developer Extraordinar
    Crazy Frenchies...;-) I think he means he busted his PC. Also, nice program, may need to use it some time.

MB

Sounds like you have a case of spyware... Check out one of the various tutorials on removing it and you should be clean and clear, no more flu for you or your puter!
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Originally posted here by NoFaTe
    I navigated to the webpage that originally gave me the security alert and it came up just like before.
    Let me get this straigt..

A website popup convinced you that there was a security alert ??

Did they also advice you to buy their security software ??
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Micro, you're not french ?
    -Simon \"SDK\"