View Poll Results: How long Ipv4 can last in this fast growing internet?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • barely 5 years

0 0%
  • a decade (10 years)

1 100.00%
  • a score (20 years)

0 0%
  • can`t say

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: top ten...

Heh, believe me I never doubted the skill. I ph33r the skill But MsM, in that case, it couldn't take THAT long to put the code in for the idea could it? I mean, it's virtually like the Top 10 AP earner's list except just a different list. It's not as if she sort's through who gave out how many AP's and manually does it. LOL.. so yeah, how long (In your opinion) do you think it could honestly take to simply put the code in for it?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I don't know what her schedule is like so I can't say. The question I'd ask is do we really need to know who gives out APs? Why does it matter so much if APs don't matter?

I'd rather see who participates more often in Security threads than who gives out points. But that's me.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I agree, I would as well (I didn't suggest this, just voting for it). However (like allen pointed out) it would be helpful especially to you mod's/admin's to know who give's out the most AP's (whether positive or negative?) to help possibly determine alliance's, bullies, etc. However the flipside to this would be that all the older member's who have stayed through AO's many year's would come up merely because they've been here for awhile (you, Neg, etc). So who know's. I follow what your saying MsM, maybe a new feature like having ALL security posts in the user's profile? (Not just most post's, but ALL their security posts). K I'm done now
    Space For Rent.. =]

However (like allen pointed out) it would be helpful especially to you mod's/admin's to know who give's out the most AP's (whether positive or negative?
    Not really. We already have a mod/admin mechnism to check this. If members think this information is useful, then it will probably be implemented. But right now I look at it and it just becomes another thing to complain about (so and so gives out too many APs; so and so doesn't give out enough).

But as I've said, this is just my personal opinion. We don't need to know all the security threads we post in but perhaps the ones that post the most in security threads as a Top Ten might be useful. Or perhaps each security forum having top 3 posters? (perhaps too much detail).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Old Fart
    OK...a little more detail that perhaps will clarify my motives for making this suggestion. Let the code reflect the NUMBER of assignments made, NOT the number of points assigned. That way Neg, MsM and the rest of the heavyweights don't clog up the list when they might only be making one or two assignments a day. When listing the T.T. assigners, place a '+' or '-' beside their name, denoting the type of points the majority of the member's assignments contained. That should make "thread bombers" easier to spot as most folks tend to give more green than red. Let's say a thread gets bombed, and suddenly one, two or three people appear on the list. It is feasible that a mod (if they have the ability) or admin could check the IP(s) of the bomber(s) and potentially discover a troll with multiple accounts. By the same token, if you have a member or members who consistently appear with a '+' over a period of days, then the mods or admins (at their discretion) can look into the possibility of an "alliance".

To appear on this list is not a badge of honor, and its very presence could potentially curb the amount of undeserved AP's that some members so callously tend to throw around. Those of you who have been around a long time have seen MANY abuses of the system. All I'm trying to do is suggest a way that *might* prevent such incidents from occurring again, or at the very least make it easier to "nip them in the bud".

And I'll even agree that this might be best implemented as an administrative tool although I confess that I'd prefer to see it on the main page as it tends to reveal "characteristics" of fellow community members that I'd like to be able to observe.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

To appear on this list is not a badge of honor, and its very presence could potentially curb the amount of undeserved AP's that some members so callously tend to throw around.
    On the other hand, it may give the wrong impression. If a member posts a series of good tutorials we'll see an influx of APs being toss about. If multiple members do it, then it may give the false indication of AP alliance. On the other side, if there are an influx of trolls we'll see members giving multiple negs to deal with the trolls.

(Just playin' devil's advocate but I do understand what you mean)

This wouldn't be very hard to implement ... I've just been hanging back to watch the discussion, see what the consensus is about its usefulness before I do anything.

pwaring -- adding total points in the AP center, in addition to percentages, is an easy thing too. I'll work on that soon.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    On the other hand, it may give the wrong impression. If a member posts a series of good tutorials we'll see an influx of APs being toss about. If multiple members do it, then it may give the false indication of AP alliance. On the other side, if there are an influx of trolls we'll see members giving multiple negs to deal with the trolls.

(Just playin' devil's advocate but I do understand what you mean)
    Granted if a good tut shows up, we will see an influx of APs....but since the system would be based on total assignments given not total points given it should have no effect on the list. IF 20 people give me APs, it's not gonna make a blip on the radar because they all came from different people. On the other hand, if I find a thread I don't like and decide to neg everyone and close it....BOOM...I'm on the list and it's pretty easy for you, Neg, mnstrgrl and the rest of AO to figure out who just killed that thread. If I appear consistently then it is possible that I might be engaged in some sort of nefarious activity....or maybe I'm just one of those people who puts too much stock in APs....either way the info can help you guys do your jobs and help the community decide what type of member I am.

BTW...having a judeao-christian (sp?) background, I am somewhat disturbed by the concept of a supreme being who doubles as the devils advocate....

Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by mnstrgrl
    pwaring -- adding total points in the AP center, in addition to percentages, is an easy thing too. I'll work on that soon.
    Actually, it was Valhallen who suggested that.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Let the code reflect the NUMBER of assignments made, NOT the number of points assigned.
    Ahh, I'm sorry I misinterpreted that al. In that case, I REALLY see your point and it's effectiveness as well as how well it should work seem's really high. I'm really liking this idea.

BTW...having a judeao-christian (sp?) background, I am somewhat disturbed by the concept of a supreme being who doubles as the devils advocate....
    HAHA! Being a christian myself and knowing the humor in it as well, I've gotta thank you for giving me the best laugh of this week!
    Space For Rent.. =]