Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enabling Automatic Updates

Enabling Automatic Updates

Does anyone know of a small tool/utility (in exe form) that can be used to enable windows automatic updates? I know it is about 3 mouse clicks to do it manually, or the regsitry can be edited with a reg file (a la http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;328010), but we would really like an exe to do this. I've looked around on google and not found much (besides manual instructions)

I'm sure someone out that has thrown something together, if not we'll have to make one up ourselves. Thanks a lot!

-Al

Two Words:

Visual Basic

Explanation:

Just make a small VB app that inserts the key into the registry.. compile to exe and there you go..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    You could also try it with a batch-file in DOS
    Not quite an exe, but should work fine, too.

update.bat:
    Code:
    @echo off
    REGEDIT UPDATE.REG *where update.reg is the file that contains the new key*
    update.reg:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoUpdate"="0"
    or whatever the key is...

if you don't have access or knowlege of visual basic you can use a batch file/program... the following is something that i just setup really quick, but you will have to insert the desired values, and i know it works in windows xp, it will not work in win 2k unless the resource kit is installed...

Values:
    Create the required DWORD values from table below:

Value: NoAutoUpdate

0 - Enable Automatic Updates (Default)
    1 - Disable Automatic Updates
    Value: AUOptions

2 - Notify for download and notify for install
    3 - Auto download and notify for install
    4 - Auto download and schedule the install
    Value: ScheduledInstallDay

0 - Install every day
    1 to 7 - Install on specific day of the week from Sunday (1) to Saturday (7).
    Value: ScheduledInstallTime

0 to 23 - Install time of day in 24-hour format

batch:
    @echo off
    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\ /v NoAutoUpdate /d [value] /f
    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\ /v AUOptions /d [value] /f
    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\ /v ScheduledInstallDay /d [value] /f
    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\ /v ScheduledInstallTime /d [value] /f
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

You mentioned that you knew about these, but why download another program for something that is this simple?

How to Turn On Automatic Updates

* Click Start , click Control Panel , and then double-click System.
    * Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click one of the following options:

- Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed. (This is the default setting.)

- Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer.

How to Turn Off Automatic Updates

* Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually.

Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

all good ideas but you could just get a mac box with os x and set it to check for whenevevr u want it to

Originally posted here by Cope57
    You mentioned that you knew about these, but why download another program for something that is this simple?

How to Turn On Automatic Updates

* Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click one of the following options:

- Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed. (This is the default setting.)

- Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer.

How to Turn Off Automatic Updates

* Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually.
    See... this is ignorance at it's prime... he clearly pointed out that he knew how to do it manually and wants to know how to do it via an automated process but you insist on posting the manual instructions... do you not understand what he wrote or do you have a dysfunction or something?!

<insert madjag291's rant>

Thanks for doing all the typing for me dude!

I know sometimes it is boring to read through an entire thread but obviously there is important information the whole way through and you end up looking somewhat foolish by reposting. Just remember that for the future.

michael737n,
    All we are trying to do is to make sure everyone has automatic updates going so that when they register on our network, we know they will continue to be safe against each new threat. It being a rather loosley structured university network there is no easy way to do this. Not everyone logs into novell (i.e. runs a login script) so there is no way to roll stuff out. Our only real option is to put together a package to ensure that virus definitions are up to date and are getting updated, automatic updates are enabled and the box is currently clean at the time of registration. This package is our responsibilty, getting everyone to run it is up to someone else (thank god not me). Thanks for the suggestion though!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

If in a windows domain (with active directory), use the sus administrative template (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en) to configure auto updates on OUs...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

You madjag291 are absolutely correct by quoting me, maybe this quote would be a more logical choice?
    Originally posted here by michael737n
    all good ideas but you could just get a mac box with os x and set it to check for whenevevr u want it to
    I posted the auto update steps, only because the actual steps have not been posted on the forum yet...
    The forum search feature does mention that you should have it automatically enabled though
    I guess everybody already knew the steps... Nothing like getting flamed for helping...
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57