Knoppix & USB modem

Thread: Knoppix & USB modem

me again,Sorry.

I have been looking around at all the Linux Distros and i came across , Knoppix is an ISO image,This is then burnt onto a CD.By doin this it doesnt make you have to install on your HDD,You just boot. Knoppix is:

What is KNOPPIX®?
    KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
    This is the specifications of Knoppix:-

Linux-Kernel 2.4.x

KDE V3.1 as the standard desktop with K Office and the Konqueror WWW-browser konqueror

X Multimedia System (xmms) an MPEG-video, MP3, Ogg Vorbis Audio player and xine

Internet connection software kppp,pppoeconf (DSL) and isdn-config

Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) Version 1.2

utilities for data recovery and system repairs, even for other operating systems

network and security analysis tools for network administrators

OpenOffice(TM), the GPL-developed version of the well-known StarOffice(TM) office suite
    many programming languages, development tools (including kdevelop) and libraries for developers

In total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games.

When i enter:-
    #sh speedtouch.hs

It does nothhing at all. Please could you tell me some more info and some sites, I am a complete noob at linux. IS the Kernel like DOS?

I used this to try and install my modem. I hae set up the KPPP so i can log inJust need the drivers done.Are all Linux software and hardware this hard to install?

If you are to lazy to click here you go:-
    How To use a Alcatel SpeedTouch™ Usb modem with a GNU/Linux Knoppix live cd

Version française ici

This document explains how to use a DSL modem Alcatel Speedtouch Usb with a Knoppix distro in live cd, without hard disk drive install.
    This How-To should also work with the DSL modem Thomson also called Speedtouch Usb 330 (not tested).

November 11, 2003: this How-to works with the last version of Knoppix V3.3-2003-09-24. Moreover, thanks to Scorpio, a script does everything almost automatically for you !

December 23, 2003 : I have updated this page with the new version beta3 of the driver. If it does not work, you can find an other method of connection on this page The script on this page is also supposed to work with the version speedtouch-1-2-beta3.tar.gz.

If you read french, you can also find a lot of helpful documentation on this site :

Required :

- a Knoppix cd for the MiB version or

- OpenSource drivers

- Alcatel's microcode mgmt.o for the modem
    or the file firmware.bin you can get here : and rename it in mgmt.o
    (a third option is to get the file alcaudsl.sys in the windows package and rename it in mgmt.o)

Instructions for the connection with the script :

- Put the microcode mgmt.o in /home/knoppix

- put the driver speedtouch-1.2-beta3.tar.gz in /home/knoppix (be careful to download the driver in tar.gz)

- put this script in /home/knoppix

- open a konsole (screen with a shell in the taskbar) and type :

# su
    # sh

answer the questions (in french for now !) and you will be connected

If it does not work, you can edit the file (open it with kedit for instance) and verify the parameters are ok for your country (see vpi and vci infra)

Instructions for a manual connection:

put the driver speedtouch-1.2-beta3 and the microcode mgmt.o in /home/knoppix

$ mkdir speedtouch
    $ tar zxvf speedtouch-1.2-beta3.tar.gz
    $ cd speedtouch-1.2-beta3
    $ ./configure --prefix=/home/knoppix/speedtouch
    $ make
    $ su
    # make install

Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options

We have to create or edit 3 files :

(cf speedtouch how-to)

1st file :
    You should have an /etc/ppp/options file, edit it and keep these 4 lines in it (comment all extra lines with a #)

------------------ /etc/ppp/options Beginning -------------
    ------------------ /etc/ppp/options End ------------------

2nd file
    # touch /etc/ppp/peers/adsl

Copy and paste what follows (without the "---" )

-------------------/etc/ppp/peers/adsl Beginning------------
    # This file could be rename but its place is under /etc/ppp/peers
    # To connect to Internet using this configuration file
    # pppd call adsl, where "adsl" stands for the name of this file

kdebug 1
    pty "/home/knoppix/speedtouch/sbin/pppoa3 -m 1 -c -vpi 8 -vci 35"
    user "your_login_here"
    holdoff 4
    maxfail 25
    ------------------/etc/ppp/peers/adsl EOF------------------

The parameters vpi and vci are differents depending on your country, you may have to change their values, it's in this file you have to do it :
    France, Belgium : -vpi 8 -vci 35
    Netherlands : -vpi 8 -vci 48
    United Kingdom : -vpi 0 -vci 38 (0 and 38 are default UK/BT for vpi and vci, you should also try removing the line usepeerdns from the file before)
    Portugal : -vpi 0 -vci 35

3rd file :
    2 protocols can be used by providers to identify their users: CHAP or PAP.
    Depending on your provider, edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

These fields look like this :

-------------------/etc/ppp/chap-secrets Begining--------------
    # client server secret IP addresses
    "your_login_here" "*" "your_password_here" "*"
    -------------------/etc/ppp/chap-secrets End-------------------

If you don't know what protocol is used by your provider, you can fill in both files, it won't hurt.

Next, type :
    $ modprobe -r speedtch (remove the module that makes connection fail)
    $ modprobe ppp_generic
    $ modprobe ppp_synctty
    $ modprobe n_hdlc
    (for the thomson speedtouch 330 type also : $ modprobe slhc)

Load the firmware
    $ /home/knoppix/speedtouch/sbin/modem_run -m -f /home/knoppix/mgmt.o

Launch pppd
    $ pppd call adsl

Check connection
    $ ifconfig

If you make a persistent home and save your settings in it (K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure), at your next reboot you will just have to type (as root) :
    $ modprobe ppp_generic
    $ modprobe ppp_synctty
    $ modprobe n_hdlc
    (for the thomson speedtouch 330 type also : $ modprobe slhc)
    $ /home/knoppix/speedtouch/sbin/modem_run -m -f /home/knoppix/mgmt.o
    $ pppd call adsl

and you will be connected :-)

tested with Knoppix V3.3-2003-09-24, V3.2-2003-06-06, V3.2-2003-05-20 & Knoppix-3.2-MiB-11b
    David Abdelli

Site hébergé par Free
    24 rue Émile Menier, 75116 Paris

I hope that is explained enough and hoe to hear from you soon.Thankyou for your time.
    Windows XP Pro , 2400+ AMD, 80gb Western Digital,MSI-K7N 2G Delta ILSR,256 pc2400, CDRW ,DVD Multi format RW

Beverwijk Netherlands
    try to remove the starting #
    the # will make bash (the linux shell) ignore the line ( like the ' or REM does in a dos batch file)

First I read over it.. but then it hit me..
    try it without the #'s
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !