Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP2 RC2 - Overview

one thing i have noticed (i have ben beta testing this since before rc-1) is that now all of the sudden i cannot print anything -- anyone else having these problems?? (i am trying to print to an IP printer)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I tried to download the full install twice (like phish said), and then quit after getting frustrated by it BSOD'ing at around 180M, might just be the crappy box I was trying to install it on....I did finally get it installed with the updater(thanks for this post Neg).....stalled at 1.6M like everyone else said, I let it sit...and like Moxnix said, the processor spazzed for a while and then resumed the download. Weird thing I noticed was that after the download resumed, the file size had changed from 100M to about 78M, maybe just a bug in the installer. So far it seems pretty kewl....against Poo's advice, I still run ZA, the new firewall doesn't seem to like ZA....randomly lets things connect and other times won't...doesn't matter on how I change the permissions for the proggies. I kill ZA and everything works great. I scanned the comp at grc.com, and it's all stealthed without ZA running, so I guess it has improved a bit...I'll play with it later from another box on my LAN. I haven't had any problems with printing or anything else, so far, and the only other thing that seemed odd to me was that I had to readjust my monitor settings after the update had completed.

Same here, Windows no likee ZA. So I'm hoping I can just ditch the software firewall and stick with the XP one, because if so it means a considerable speed up for my computer since the ZA processes are asta lavista.

Banned
    I haven't really played with the firewall yet, but I do know that LeakTest fools it...
    This is probably because the Windows Firewall doesn't provide outgoing blocking, only incoming. It seems to do a good job on blocking unauthorized incoming connections, but that's only half of the big picture...

And what good is a firewall that only does half of the work? You'd still need another one, making the Windows one kinda useless...

Well crap.

Ah, agreed 100 percent....*pats his router. It's fun to connect the comp directly every now and then, though, and see what it would be like as a standalone. Guess I'll go back to Sygate...or the other one Poo had suggested in his thread abou the ZA vulnerabilty. What was it called.....erm kerio.... http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ight=ZoneAlarm

Well, I'm having all kinds of fun with this box here...

1. Can't install via v5 windows update. errors out at ~1.6MB downloaded.
    2. Downloaded network install
    3. Tried to install. Did an inventory, and then errored out saying that c:\winnt\system32\ftp.exe was in use.
    4. Renamed ftp.exe to ftp1.exe (proves file was not in use... or I wouldn't have been able to rename it. filemon didn't show it in use nor did taskmanager)
    5. Tried to install it again. Install almost complete, then I got an error message:

Service Pack 2 Setup Error
    an extended error has occurred
    service pack 2 installation did not complete

6. Rebooted and it gave me some weird new screen
    7. Boot process took about 10 minutes to boot and I had to manually start the explorer.exe process
    8. Looked to see what version it was and it said SP2, V. 2149
    (/me confused.. install was supposedly not completed? Shouldn't it have rolled back?)
    9. Launched internet explorer and saw that the about:mozilla that I normally have on there has changed from an all blue background to a white background with just the word "MOZILLA". source just says "<HTML> MOZILLA </HTML> (not like I really care... just noticed it.
    10. Popup saying that it is blocking a program vsvr.exe and wants me to select allow or block. I allowed it as its a 3rd party app that I use for document imaging...
    11. System rollback successful...

Hopefully I'll get better results at home?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Holy cow Phis, sounds like you need an exorcist over there...

no kidding... considering this is a new install with just a couple of my everyday normal user apps on there...

looks like this is gonna be loads of fun over here!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phishphreek80, I thought you used Linux?
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57