Thread: Blue screen of death TIMES 40!!

Blue screen of death TIMES 40!!

While doing what I was told, installing Win XP Home on system 2, the single processor server, just as I got to the install screen, I got a blue screen of death. It said this (summarized):

Blah blah, there was a problem detected and windows has shut down just incase it was Terrorists in Iraq trying to hack me.

This file is currupted or something: cdfs.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Blah blah blah... blah blah... check recent software/hardware installations..blah blah...

Then:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8801AA1C, 0x00000000, 0xF79946B3, 0x00000000)

cdfs.sys - Address F79946B3 base at F798F000, DateStamp 3D6DE24A.

Please help!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Source: MSDN Common Stop Messages

This Stop message has four parameters:

1. Memory address that caused the fault.
    2. Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
    3. If not zero, the instruction address that referenced the address in parameter 0x00000001.
    4. This parameter is reserved (set aside for future use).
    Try swapping out RAM perhaps or checking heat?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the info, but I dont exactly know how to fix this. Do you think its the RAM, or the motherboard, or what. I read the site, and to be honest, microsoft is horrible at helping.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Given that, based on the error (and it's somewhat vague), it's having trouble reading, I'd suggest trying various components and removing them. Ram is the easiest (given that often machines today have multiple DIMMS). If removing the RAM and/or swapping slots doesn't work, then move on to other components. Have you installed new hardware recently? Have you checked that everything is seated ok?

Worst case scenario is motherboard. That'd be last resort if none of the above options work. It's tedious but sometimes can be the only way to find the error (through patient elimination).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Im not very patient though, at least not at this stage in my life. I've tried the RAM thing, switching 2 sticks with 2 others, and now those 2 others are still here. Ill put another extra pair of 2 sticks in right now I guess. I really dont think its the memory though. I think its the motherboard, and I would hope so. This motherboard is 3+ years old, and Soltek, the manufactorer, doesnt even list this model on their website (I had to email them to get info, drivers, etc). If interested, its a SL-75DRV4. And to be honest, I install hardware all the time, so there is never a sure cause of which peice of hardware it is. I've had these errors before, but I had a unsure of version of Win XP, a faulty hard drive, and just to many possible combinations of hardware problems, making it impossible to track down and figure out what exactly was wrong. I guess I'll have to take the time and pull everything and keep trying, somthing I really hate doing. Maybe I'll get lucky and get my friend to do it for me for cheap. Thanks Ms Mittens, a bunch.

"I read the site, and to be honest, microsoft is horrible at helping."
    I just have a hard time turning professional text and content like that into simple english for me.

Old Fart
    I'm leaning towards an HDD issue on this one....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Allen:

I doubt this is a hard drive issue. I've gotten these blue screens of death on more than one hard drive installation.