Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless routers and toys

You might want to enable mac filtering on your router, limiting only traffic from certain network cards.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I know this is pretty late in coming. I am kinda new to Dynamic routing, having learned more Static related things from a bit of Cisco training. In any case, are there any Programs anyone would reccomend for monitoring a dynamic home network, with wireless support?

Originally posted here by untuchable-me
    D0pp139an93r, i am one step ahead of you, as soon as i got the router i had implemented MAC Filtering as well as a WEP encript key...

thanks for all you help.....
    MAC filetering is great, but I can spoof my MAC address.
    WEP keys are nothing but a speed bump to someone determined.

Off to a good start but not quite there....As was already mentioned, turn off SSID broadcasting. Also if you are able to with your hardware, ditch the WEP and switch to WPA. Plenty of articles out there about the advantages to doing so.

With MAC filtering, WPA, and SSID broadcasting off, you are going to discourage the casual attackers out there.