User grabbing my Internal IP from WAN

Thread: User grabbing my Internal IP from WAN

User grabbing my Internal IP from WAN

I've setup a Wi-Fi LAN and my computer + another host are behind the router with NAT + SPI FireWall enabled. I was chatting and someone on my buddylist on Yahoo! Messenger (Buddies getting certain p2p rights with you) managed to grab my Internal LAN IP and not my router's WAN registered IP. I was just wondering how this could be? I don't see how this is possible considering that NAT should have retranslated all my computer's outbound packets stamping it's registered WAN IP on the packets instead of my Internal IP for all connections and requests. When inbound it would still go through the same translation only the other way around. I'm not understanding how my private LAN IP was grabbed and not the WAN?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Certain apps will run on the client itself so they grab the local IP and report it back to the "server". This is what probably happened to you.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Washington D.C. area
    What's funny is IIS, when configured just poorly enough, will do the same thing. A simple request will return internal addresses (or DMZ addresses) depending upon where someone parked the box.

Tiger is correct, and to add a few more pennies to the pot, there are a number of other ways this can happen. If you told us the P2P app and the version, I'm sure the exact cause will surface in this thread.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Huson Mt.
    If you were to go into a MSN (group) chat room it lists your IP upon entry. It lists the specific computer IP, by the way-----ie. for mine, and not my router or ISP specific IP. It probably records the actual IP some where, and if it doesn't......oh well. (good luck finding the addy since almost every router made by D-Link makes use of that internal IP)

If it really concerns you, you can force your router into giving you a different designated IP.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown