Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSH Dynamic Port Forwarding

King Tutorial-ankhamun

SSH Dynamic Port Forwarding

I set up a quick video tutorial to show how to set up an encrypted tunnel using SSH’s dynamic port forwarding (sort of a poor man’s VPN) in both Linux and Windows. The tools used are OpenSSH, PuTTY and Firefox, but it should be enough info to allow you to figure out how to set up other clients. Why would you want to do this? Sometime you are on an untrusted network, but have to use protocols that aren’t completely secure and you don’t want someone else on the local LAN sniffing what you are doing. By using SSH dynamic port forwarding you can create and encrypted tunnel to a trusted network so others have a harder time sniffing passwords and other data as you send it. This is a great thing to do if you are on an untrusted network like at a coffee house or at a hacker convention where everybody and their brother is running a sniffer of some sort.

Download Here:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=v...portforwarding

2.95MB SWF

King Tutorial-ankhamun

SSH Dynamic Port Forwarding

I set up a quick video tutorial to show how to set up an encrypted tunnel using SSH’s dynamic port forwarding (sort of a poor man’s VPN) in both Linux and Windows. The tools used are OpenSSH, PuTTY and Firefox, but it should be enough info to allow you to figure out how to set up other clients. Why would you want to do this? Sometime you are on an untrusted network, but have to use protocols that aren’t completely secure and you don’t want someone else on the local LAN sniffing what you are doing. By using SSH dynamic port forwarding you can create and encrypted tunnel to a trusted network so others have a harder time sniffing passwords and other data as you send it. This is a great thing to do if you are on an untrusted network like at a coffee house or at a hacker convention where everybody and their brother is running a sniffer of some sort.

Download Here:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=v...portforwarding

2.95MB SWF

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Sorry, I mistyped the title, could someone change it to SSH? Thanks.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Sorry, I mistyped the title, could someone change it to SSH? Thanks.

Hi

SSH port forwarding indeed can be very useful. A while ago I accessed
    a samba share via SSH tunneling[1]. I could look at sensitive documents ()
    while being attached to an untrusted network. Neither login/password
    information nor the content of documents were sent clear text.

Cheers

P.s. Since your bandwidth-limit has exceeded I couldn't watch the video;
    thus I am answering with respect to your post

[1] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264388
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Hi

SSH port forwarding indeed can be very useful. A while ago I accessed
    a samba share via SSH tunneling[1]. I could look at sensitive documents ()
    while being attached to an untrusted network. Neither login/password
    information nor the content of documents were sent clear text.

Cheers

P.s. Since your bandwidth-limit has exceeded I couldn't watch the video;
    thus I am answering with respect to your post

[1] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264388
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks. My web site is having issues. It’s only exceeding it’s momentary bandwidth, if you try again a few seconds later it may work. I’d like to find another ISP, but theses not much of anyplace else where I can get 500GB per month transfer for just $7.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks. My web site is having issues. It’s only exceeding it’s momentary bandwidth, if you try again a few seconds later it may work. I’d like to find another ISP, but theses not much of anyplace else where I can get 500GB per month transfer for just $7.

it's assume... im just a new to the whole thing but i like what uve done .... good idea and good job.... thank u..

it's assume... im just a new to the whole thing but i like what uve done .... good idea and good job.... thank u..