Digital Jukebox PC/Palm Pilot

Thread: Digital Jukebox PC/Palm Pilot

Digital Jukebox PC/Palm Pilot

This weekend was rather boring... so I created a new digital jukebox.

Specs:
    PIII 700mhz
    384MB RAM
    OS= 2K Pro
    1x5gig HDD
    2x120gig HDDs
    SB Live 5.1 Sound Card

Soundcard is output to my 6 speaker surround sound system
    (two front, two surround, center and sub)

IOGEAR USB Bluetooth Adapter
    10/100MB NIC

1x Palm Tungsten T3 (Bluetooth enabled)

I installed the OS to the 5gig drive. Fully patched and updated. kinda locked down and up2date AV and FW. I already had all my music ripped to mp3 format and I finally organized it and put it on the larger drives.

Anyone on the network can map a drive and play music on their PC from anywhere on the network.

Everything was working great and then I thought... man... it'd be nice to be able to control this thing from away from the PC...

ENTER: Palm TT3...

I installed the IOGEAR USB Bluetooth adapter and configured it so only one device can connect to it. It will be my internet gateway for the Palm. I also installed VNCServer on it and downloaded and installed the Palm VNC Viewer. Now I can connect to my Music Server and control it from within 100ft.

(my palm only has a 10 ft radius... but the USB adapter has 100 ft... so that gives me a max of 110 ft... though I've only tested it for approx 50 ft.)

My next project:

Digital Jukebox for my Jeep!!!

I'm thinking shuttle PC with 1x250GB HDD.
    Windows 2K
    512MB RAM
    SB Live Sound Card (output to my car stereo receiver)
    IOGEAR USB Bluetooth adapter
    Wiress Card
    GPS Receiver

I can update my mobile jukebox with my home jukebox via wireless.
    (I won't have to take the PC out of the Jeep whenever I want to update it)

I will have wireless internet whereever there is a hotspot... both on the PC and on my palm pilot.

I will have a GPS receiver and I can use it via VNC on the Palm Pilot!

I can use the Palm to control the PC in both my house and my car!

I just have to figure out a good way to power it in the Jeep.
    I'm thinking second battery/alternator (like they do with the tow package) and then power it that way. I can have a on/off switch up front to control power to the PC.

Can anyone think of a good way to power a PC in a car?

Not only will I be able to wardrive... but I'll know where I'm going and will have a **** load of tunes!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I would buy a DC to AC inverter you should be able to get one at radio shack I think they have a 300 watt unit
    This site has a few nice ones
    http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/24...inverters.html
    Provides 8.3 Amps

Anodized aluminum case provides durability & maximum heat dissipation
    Built-in Cooling Fan
    External, Replaceable 30 Amp spade-type Fuses
    12 volt Power Plug
    Dual 3 Prong 120 volt AC outlet
    Overload Indicator
    Power ON/OFF Switch
    1000 watts continuous power
    2000 watts peak power
    Comes with 3 foot battery cables

Hmm... thanks for the link.

This might just come together pretty nice...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hope it does when you get all together why not get a snap shot of it and show off your rig.

I have a stock head unit and it doesn't have input jacks to hook up external devices...

So, I either have to do one of two things...

Get a new head unit (probably the best choice... but most expensive)
    Get the RF transmitter to "broadcast" the audio signal to an AM channel. (Not sure how good the quality will be).

I have a mp3 player on my palm... so I'll try with the RF transmitter and see how well that works first... if not, then I have to get a new head unit...

Damn Phish that's one kicking set up you got there..
    Get a new head unit (probably the best choice... but most expensive)
    Get the RF transmitter to "broadcast" the audio signal to an AM channel. (Not sure how good the quality will be).
    Have you taken the head unit into an Electoronics store and asked if they called insert the RCA outlets on the head unit?
    I only ask because there's a few Audio/Electronic stores over here that do that sort of stuff.
    So there might be a way to save a few dollars..

cheers
    front2back:.