Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEVERE Web-Application Slowness

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by ilevakam316
    I used a Packet Sniffing program today, and I found that when it starts to get slow, there seems to be alot of ARP transmitions. How many ARP transmitions are normal?
    It depends on how big your broadcast domain is and how much traffic is on it.
    What do they do, and can they give me a hint to what the problem is?
    Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is a mechanism that can be used by IP to find the link-layer station address that corresponds to a particular IP address. It defines a method that is used to ask, and answer, the question "what MAC address corresponds to a given IP address?". ARP sends broadcast frames to obtain this information dynamically, so it can only be used on media that support broadcast frames. Most LAN's (including Ethernet, FDDI, and Token Ring) have a broadcast capability and ARP is used when IP is running on those media. ARP is defined in RFC 826. That definition assumes an Ethernet LAN. Additional details for ARP on networks that use IEEE 802.2 frame formats (IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD, IEEE 802.4, IEEE 802.5 Token Ring) are in RFC 1042. ARP on FDDI is described in RFC 1390.
    Taken from TCP/IP Frequently Asked Questions.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I dont think that a WEB application can be severe impact due to some kind of overload or misconfig on your network (but it will be good to know the topology as all senior members asked ). Web protocols were designed to be robust and run on low speed networks.
    Im telling you this because, except you are experiencing performance problems with OTHER applications, i cant see how everything is running OK, but this application' response time just sucks.
    is there any kind of bottleneck etween your network and server network? like a router or a switch? is there any other application on same server network (or even on the same server)?
    if answer is yes, what is the response time you r experienced on those, comparing with the bad one?

(shooting in the dark)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Listen to this 'temporary fix' that we have going. We set up a Proxy Server within in our office, running behind the same switch, as the workstations were etc. We then set all 20 users up to the proxy server through Internet Explorer (happens to be the only browser this web-app works with), so now all traffic is going through the proxy server (of course only that that comes form IE). The WEB-APPLICATION is fast. We have the same amount of users connected to the proxy server, that used to be connected to the Web-App Server indicidually.

Why does this work. Could it be high packet collision? (whats the fix/cause of that) Could it be router table corruption?

This is mind-boggling. For me at least.

Thanks

Also, once we come off our router we go to a redundent backbone. And if you hit he1, before your hit he2 then your packets will go through that router. Could this be a problem, and be a factor in the slowness?

Just Another Geek
    Are you sure the proxy isn't caching the webpages? That would account for a significant speed increase.
    Oliver's Law:

Nope, its not.

Get this. We brought a Mac and a Linux machine into the building and tested using the databse with a Windows, Mac, and Linux Box all at the same time. The Windows machine was extremly slow, but the Mac and Linux was fast, and worked fine. Is this a protocal problem? Does this make any sense? Anyone understand why this could be happening?

Thanks Alot.
    I am preplexed at the moment.

I am going to post another topic in the Windows forum, to see if anyone could give any information on the differnece between Linux and Windows protocols while connecting to the internet. And I will link them to this post in case they want to understand what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by ilevakam316
    I am going to post another topic in the Windows forum, to see if anyone could give any information on the differnece between Linux and Windows protocols while connecting to the internet. And I will link them to this post in case they want to understand what I am talking about.
    No need to open a new thread. Both use TCP/IP to connect to the Internet. Since the Internet is build up using TCP/IP there's no other way to connect to it.
    Oliver's Law:

Why is it that Linux works fine (as well as Unix) while windows does not work? What would be the main difference between the two as far as handling internet connections goes.

THanks.