Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patching windows

Patching windows

Greetings,

Recently i was directed to a site that made it so that you can download all the windows patches and apply them all at one time. This is especially helpful when you are setting up a new computer (no viruses due to an unpatched OS)

the site is

http://www.autopatcher.com

currently they have the one for windows XP, they are working on one for windows 2k and 2k3 (68% and 26% done respectively)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Just Another Geek

Re: Patching windows

Originally posted here by djscribble
    Recently i was directed to a site that made it so that you can download all the windows patches and apply them all at one time.
    Last time I did a windows update (on a new machine) it did the same..
    Why would this be better? And where are the patches coming from?
    I for 1 don't like installing patches that aren't downloaded from the MS sites.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

SirDice Said it ..never trust anyone when it comes to something as critical as Security Patches and updates.....

Remember djscribble list time you trusted your Friend you ended up with a Keylogger ..i am not saying that this site contains malware or anything ..but the point iis why take a risk.........I alwas click on "windows Update" on my Start menu....and go from there. .it is also a Automatic update ..searches for new updates that i don't have and then lists new ones so why bother going to another site.. Now whats wrong with this site it's also a automatic update site.. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ . and it belongs to Microsoft...Don't see any sort of reason to go anywhere elso for updates released by Microsoft.........

--Good Luck--

ive visited that site and it didnt inspire much confidence. Do what Powers said:
    D/L from MS:
    a) they have a huge BW;
    b) you can trust;
    c) they have the latest patch;
    d) you can apply all at once, except when there are prereqs. On that case, even the site you have pointed to cant solve the prereqs problems (or when a patch must be applied alone for some internal structure reasons)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

the reason that i am thinking about using this is because on my work network (a university) we are constantly plagued with blaster/nachi, gaobot, and sasser (within 3 seconds of plugging them into the network the comptuer is infected, furthermore, because of the viruses, the bandwidth at the university is not always very fast to M$)...

we have created compilation discs in the past with all the "critical" updates in the past... i think i will take a TEST machine and see how it works...

I understand the apprenhension that you are suggesting (especially since you all know very well what happened this weekend), but at the same time, to compile all the patches...

i will keep you updated
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

(within 3 seconds of plugging them into the network the comptuer is infected, furthermore, because of the viruses, the bandwidth at the university is not always very fast to M$)...
    I think you have bigger issues other than patch management. You may want to get a handle on your Antivirus systems. Sure, patch management is important, but if you have that many viruses running around your network, maybe your priority should be on virus protection. I also voice the opinion of the others here, if your going to install MS patches, get them from MS!

Cheers:
    DjM

are there any virus scanners that we can operate at a domain level that will scan all the machines in the domain?? also, are there any programs that can be used as "gateways" that will filter the virus traffic out?? i have used snort in the past, but i havn't used it enough to know if it can do that...

are there any virus scanners that we can operate at a domain level that will scan all the machines in the domain?? also, are there any programs that can be used as "gateways" that will filter the virus traffic out?? i have used snort in the past, but i havn't used it enough to know if it can do that...
    Typically, scanners are placed on all clients within the network. This is to allow for "real-time" protection. Just scanning machines from time to time is not an effective deployment of an Antivirus solution.

Secondly, snort will only notify you of various activity on a network, it will not block or filter it. Blocking or filtering is of little or no help, because, in the end you still have one or more infected computers on your network. The only true solution IMHO is a full deployment of a commercial antivirus product.
    DjM

On the MSN update site, you can order an update disk. Then you could apply most of the updates before you even put the new computer on line.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Further to Moxnix's post :
    On the MS site there is a link to order (FREE) discs for System security (not for the home user) AND a W98 troubleshooting disc, as they no longer offer free support for the good ? old W98.

As I cannot resist the pull of a freebie, I can vouch for the fast delivery, and the content of said discs.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone