Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm just an idiot and I need all the help I can get

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    Is it just me, or does summer always bring a lot of skiddies in here trying to social engineer us?
    What makes you think you're anything, anyone would want to "social engineer?" Do you have some vast amount of knowlege on tap that all the "skiddies" are drooling for? I doub't it. People like you that are so wrapped up in themselves; that they cannot even answer, what may be a legitimate question; do more harm than any 10 "skiddies" with password crackers combined.

You don't know the answer so you act as if you do, yet you're too high and might to let that PUBLIC knowlege out. F.O.A.D

Regal Making Handler
    Use a data recovery app. The original info will still be there. Unless you have over written it.
    The info you want was once on your comp. You then incrypted it. (a new file would have been created)
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

What makes you think you're anything, anyone would want to "social engineer?" Do you have some vast amount of knowlege on tap that all the "skiddies" are drooling for? I doub't it. People like you that are so wrapped up in themselves; that they cannot even answer, what may be a legitimate question; do more harm than any 10 "skiddies" with password crackers combined.

You don't know the answer so you act as if you do, yet you're too high and might to let that PUBLIC knowlege out. F.O.A.D
    Sweetheart, I said "US"....trust me...i dont feel special enough to be social engineered

BTW....i have a solution for him/her, but I do not want to share with him/her for the simple fact that he hasn't shown adequate proof that he wants to use this knowledge for a good reason...

I'm not here to teach kids how to crack...i'm here to learn the most I can about security and help whenever I can. You wanna show him how to crack the password....go right ahead, but if you could, please do it using the PM system.

Its his/her dumb ****ing fault for messing with something he/she has no clue about. Now what on earth would he/she have on his computer that he/she needs to encrypt? If he/she wants to protect something on his/her computer...he/she should start with a firewall.

cheers

hey, cute picture in your profile...I think I know you from somewhere....Been around Boston lately?

Ninja Code Monkey
    Apparently we do not all believe in 'defense in depth'.

The person in question understood what they did, they just forgot the password they used. Simple noob mistake, most of us have made it at one time or another.

TheHorse13's response will probably be the most useful, however I have a feeling that in the end you will probably have to cut your losses and just chalk it up to a learning experience. If you have the time and resources a check of google will probably give you the tools you need to do what you like. I'd recommend doing some reading.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Well, engineering or not, has any one noticed this guy hasn't resonded to our three pages worth of questioning his ligitimacy? I think it's a moot point now. We're shooting a fly with a bazooka.

And the profile pic is cute, you must be a real nut. You'll fit in fine.

But I don't think there's much more we can do with this sad little thread...