Thread: Spybot

Spybot

Hi,

I recently downloaded spybot and then i clicked check problems : it figured out three problems and then i clicked the icon for fix those problems......Done

but then i thought may i should try to scan once more so i repeat the process and get the problem DSO exploit , Fix the problem and then I scan it again, same DSO exploit again.

Why is that so. This DSo exploit that i get has also some registry key information associated with it.

Thanks in advance.
    MRG.

The generic AO response: Try partnering it up with Adaware. They work great when ran together as one often catches the slip-ups of the other.

The DSO exploit is a false positive generated by a bug in the current version of Spybot. It is safe to ignore.

The generic AO response: Try partnering it up with Adaware. They work great when ran together as one often catches the slip-ups of the other.
    And completely wrong.

-Cheers-

^^ Pay him no regard, he's just bored.

As thread after thread will reveal that combo will serve you well, but it looks like Groovicus solved your problem anyway. Never heard that false positive with the DSO exploit before, learn something new everyday. You seem to be the neighborhood AO spyware expert Groov, I've noticed you're always on these spyware threads.

lol that is the generic response. The flavored response would be that everytime you use spybot, do it in safe mode, and delete the folders that spybot or adaware will miss. If some files cannot be deleted, you might have to rename them, reboot and then delete them.

PM, at least his post added something to the thread.

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    lol that is the generic response. The flavored response would be that everytime you use spybot, do it in safe mode, and delete the folders that spybot or adaware will miss. If some files cannot be deleted, you might have to rename them, reboot and then delete them.

PM, at least his post added something to the thread.
    You guys forgot to tell him to Google it. That is the favored responce around here.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Thanks .

MRG

The DSO Exploite in question isn't as muuch a false positive as it is a inability for the program to change a few little o'le reg keys.. A (Generic AO responce) Quick google or a visit to the Spybot forums will give the information you require.. a bit of hand Regedit ing,, will fix the problem

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Here is the post from Spybot forums

The problem with the DSO Exploit is a little bug. We have already been able to locate and fix it, but unfortunately it was not included with the last update. It will hopefully be with the next one.
    The DSO Exploit is a security gap in IE. Microsoft did already repair this, so if you have all Windows updates and patches installed, it is not dangerous for your system.

I hope that explains the situation.

So, the solution is just waiting for the update
    DSO stop is sometimes being recommended for 'fixing' the problem, but I haven't seen anything so far that would indicate it is an actual problem. Am I missing something? I would hate to be telling people something that is actually a real problem.