Thread: cable modem splitter problems

cable modem splitter problems

i recently got a tv in the room in my house where the cable modem is. there is only one cable wire in the room and it originally plugged right into the modem. in order to use the tv we had to get a splitter, so the connection is like this:

cable modem
    /
    cable
    \
    tv

the problem is that the tv will work but the cablemodem wont, we even tried using different splitters and switching it like this:

tv
    /
    cable
    \
    cable modem

the tv still works but the modem doesnt. anybody know what the problem is? so far we've just used an a/b switch to switch back and forth but i need to be able to watch tv and surf the web

You are probably experiencing low signal stength on your cable line. You could try putting an amplifier befor the splitter.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hi, another possibility is that the modem will not support the two devices. I had cable a while back, and they supplied this box that you could attach a TV, phone and computer to..........quite heavy and complicated it seemed.

I would ask the cable company, after all it is their kit?

Cheers

yeah, it all came from the cable company. we thought it might be low signal strength but its been split before and worked fine, we figured one more split wouldnt have too much effect. this was only the 5th our 6th split. i guess we could call the cable company but they never come on time and its very inconvenient...

Old Fart
    5 or 6 splits???!?

Thats enough to cause big-time signal degradation!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

well if it's the type of splitter i have in mind ( http://www.ldresources.com/art/splitter.jpg ) then you might be connecting it wrong (Expierenced this while working on some cable splitting in my house) make sure the cable line goes on the top one where it's alone and the rest (modem and tv) on the bottom ones.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!