Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New generation of adware?

New generation of adware?

So there I was.....standing in the shower thinking about all things technological. I started to recall a few things from the movie Minority Report. Remember that cereal box, that when he poured his cereal into the bowl, it started an advertisement? Well, I realized,"Hey, that is a big possibility for the advertisemtn companies. And, that lil program on that box, that would be considered adware wouldn't it?" Here is a site with a really nice definition of spyware and adware, and the rules abou them, and other stuff, just read:

http://www.clickz.com/experts/archiv...le.php/1483761

So, according to the rules and laws so far (there aren't any), couldn't a company dealing in adware, with another companies permission, start put advertisements on cereal boxes, buckets of laundry detergent, and the like? In my opinion, I think that we aren't that far off from this. Technology is growing and running rampant it seems, so, I don't think it is that far off when we will be pouring a bowl of cereal and listening to a little bear advertise something, and then chucking the box across the room. Wow, as pissed as we can sometimes get at ads popping up on our computer, just imagine how pissed we are going to be when we have to see and listen to these things in our own homes?
    Don\'t mistake lack of talent for genius.

And so I'm playing Halo on my XBox, seconds away from finishing off the Covenant once and for all, and all of a sudden --

Pop up: "Click here for hot pron!"

CRAP!!!

Technically they already advertise on the cereal boxes and the like... You have to figure we already have advertising everywhere, even in our showers (look on your shampoo bottle). I mean c'mon it's nothing new. Years ago there wasn't as much advertising as there is now. I think we will get used to it and move on.

On funnier note...Spybot S&D and Adaware for cereal boxes...

He does have a point though. As more and more aspects of our lives "go online", can you imagine how far the problem will progress if left unchecked? We've already just seen our first proof-of-concept cell phone virus, so it's reasonable to say cell phone spyware/adware is equally possible *shudder*. The possibilities are virutally endless.

So I'm getting Spybot on my next cell phone...

So, according to the rules and laws so far (there aren't any), couldn't a company dealing in adware, with another companies permission, start put advertisements on cereal boxes, buckets of laundry detergent, and the like? In my opinion, I think that we aren't that far off from this. Technology is growing and running rampant it seems, so, I don't think it is that far off when we will be pouring a bowl of cereal and listening to a little bear advertise something, and then chucking the box across the room
    Well, I think that they can print what they like on the box, but as soon as they include electronic devices, the law will step in.

Like maybe the box has a couple of hundred nylon ball bearings and 2 ounces of C4 in it????

Also, it would be rather expensive?...............and wouldn't we take our scalpels to the boxes and remove the battery and components?

I cannot honestly see it happening.

Cheers

Yes, you see, we have NO laws in place right now. I think, right now, the most people conscious about this subject is the IT people, the "nerdz". We know about adware, and spyware, but most everyday people don't really think about it. (hobbdebub, you know how my mom is about that spyware and adware, because she thinks my firewall is causing her home page to change, and not spyware *rolls his eyes*) Don't you think it will be a big eye opener if they were to see an advertisemnt for Levi blue jeans when they open the lid on their Tide Detergent? I seriously think laws should be implaced to put limits on ads. Otherwise, the only limits right now are, well, none. And as for people getting used to it, I highly doubt that. Ads are annoying to we IT guys, just as much as I think ads in the home will be annoying to the other people.

On another note about the laws, how would we go about getting someone to think about laws? Would we all just band together and send e-mail or snail mail to congress, or our respective Senators on the subject? Or do you think they would even listen to our rants about adware?
    Don\'t mistake lack of talent for genius.

Check out my thread on the SPY Act. It has already begun.

But the question arises: Where do you draw the line? If you can limit advertising, how far do you limit it? When does it become a violation of free speech? Problem is, things aren't too simple. If I were dictat--erm, president--I would definately push for something though.

Well, how about "homeland security"

My point about C4 and shrapnel meant that scanning for electonic devices wouldn't work for products where you expect to find them?..........if cereals and detergent are expected to, then you cannot have "homeland security"

OH.............for C4, read "semtex".............it doesn't smell of marzipan

Cheers

So there I was.....standing in the shower thinking about all things technological
    I usually get washed in the shower duder. seek help

And so I'm playing Halo on my XBox, seconds away from finishing off the Covenant once and for all, and all of a sudden --

Pop up: "Click here for hot pron!"

CRAP!!!
    I see. If I were you I would consider that a blessing. Now you can beat it in front of your TV too as to distribute the stains throughout the house.

I usually get washed in the shower duder. seek help
    Singings fun too. I think some people walk out dirtier than they walk in.

-Cheers-