Thread: Distribution list

Distribution list

Hi ,

I created a distribution list , so that a coupleof people in my company can get the e-mail. Now there is one employee if some sent a e-mail to the distribution list (i.e. list@mycompany.com) here the name of the distibution list is "list", Now if any one was to send a e-mail to list then only one employee gets that message but also gets the following error:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.

Actually she has setup a rule that says forward all the e0mails that she gets in her account to this list and also to her local account. Her local account (i.e. the account in the company ) gets that e-mail.

Note that she has two accounts one is the local account and one offsite account, she has the rule set in her offsite account. she also gets the same error messgae if she sends a e-mail to list@mycompany.com.

Can some one please help.

MRG.

You should never setup a rule that forwards email to a distribution list that the recipient is on without specifying in the rule not to forward email originating from the same recipient. THe reason I say this is because the error message is completely accurate, she created a mail loop.

Here is the flow of the message-

We call the person with the rule employee A.

Employee B sends an email message to employee a. Employee a forwards that email to list@mycompany.com which contains employee a. Employee A again receives the email message and fowards it out again... repeat... Email loop continues until you disable the rule...

Also, if you have the message error number that will help in identifying if the rule is the culprit. I would guess that it is. Also, I don't mind answering these types of questions, but you should be aware that you are posting these questions in a forum that is meant to be about security, not general techie issues. http://www.msexchange.org or http://www.exchangeadmin.com may be a better resource for asking non-security exchange related questions. I would say that there is more exchange knowledge on those other forums than here.

she has setup a rule that says forward all the e0mails that she gets in her account to this list
    If every mail she gets (including those from the list) gets bounced back to the list (and hence sent to her again (as a list member)and bounced back to the list and sent to her again etc...) you can see why it would cause the error:
    A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers
    Tell her not to forward all mail she gets back to the list. If she wants to forward mail to the list create an exception that does not include mail from the list in this rule.

Hopefully I understood your question correctly. Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca